General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Any El Camino experts in readerland???

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2023, 05:41 PM

Any El Camino experts in readerland???

The time has to replace the hacked up floor pans in my sons El Camino. My question: several places I have called for parts quotes tell me that while I’m working on a 71 model year, the pans I need are for a 64-67. The first place that told me that I assumed were just naïve about the parts. However, enough people have told me the same thing that I’m beginning to question it.

So, what do I need??? How can what is technically a 68-72 A body use 64-67 floor pans?? We have the interior stripped from the car, the floors look exactly what’s in my 69 Olds.

Thanks!

Last edited by matt69olds; June 10th, 2023 at 06:15 PM.
Old June 10th, 2023, 05:47 PM

I know El Caminos are bad@$$! Show us pics, STAT!
Old June 10th, 2023, 06:00 PM

El Camino's have a welded in transmission cross member's on a heavy duty frame. At least on the ( 64-65) If the body is off the car makes life a whole bunch easier. Also if the pans are gone the braces are ?
Old June 10th, 2023, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
El Camino's have a welded in transmission cross member's on a heavy duty frame. At least on the ( 64-65) If the body is off the car makes life a whole bunch easier. Also if the pans are gone the braces are ?
The problem is the previous owner had plans for a 4 speed. He obviously was NOT a believer of the “measure twice, cut once” mentality. The hole is much bigger than needed, and appears to have been cut with a ax. There are some holes in the floors, but the braces appear solid.
Old June 10th, 2023, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I know El Caminos are bad@$$! Show us pics, STAT!

Not much to see right now.

This is a picture the day he bought it.
Old June 10th, 2023, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by therobski
This car has a bolt in crossmember.
Old June 11th, 2023, 06:15 AM

Cool project!

Since your son's El Camino has a bolt in cross member it apparently is a later style if all the earlier El Caminos had a welded cross member.

Maybe the need for an earlier floor pan is a rumor similar to header fitment on the Cutlass S?
Old June 11th, 2023, 07:41 AM

I'm not familiar with a welded in transmission cross member for 64-7 ElCaminos, I need to do some homework to see if that is indeed correct. Anyways the 68-72 ElCaminos have the same bolt in cross member, and it is shared with convertible models (not the same as for hardtops). I imagine this is due to the reinforced frame.

You're probably aware in your day one (for your son that is) photo you have a 1970 fender? Good luck with your project.
Old June 11th, 2023, 09:08 AM

I have not heard anything about using earlier pans, I have believe the floor is the same as the same year Malibu/Chevelle.
Old June 11th, 2023, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by briane
I'm not familiar with a welded in transmission cross member for 64-7 ElCaminos, I need to do some homework to see if that is indeed correct. Anyways the 68-72 ElCaminos have the same bolt in cross member, and it is shared with convertible models (not the same as for hardtops). I imagine this is due to the reinforced frame.

You're probably aware in your day one (for your son that is) photo you have a 1970 fender? Good luck with your project.

No doubt many of you are wide awake in bed worrying about this project car! I’ll try and fill in the blanks to ease your minds and allow you to get some much needed sleep.

We have acquired most of the needed 71 sheet metal. I’m guessing the previous owner planned to install a 70 front end. The new wiring harness has 4 headlight sockets, and there were 70 headlight trim included with the car.

My son is having a blast with this, I’m thankful I get to pass on almost 40 years of wrenching knowledge. However, I am frustrated with the misinformation. I thought we Oldsmobile fanatics had to deal with lots of urban legends, bench raving bull***** and myths. I’m finding out the Chevy crowd is worse.