General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

another great day with the car....nope

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2010, 07:52 PM

another great day with the car....nope

So, I went to work on the 442 today in hopes of getting it completed this week. I'm inspecting the car, which is completely filthy--the result of having no windows in a shop where bondo sanding is going on--and I notice a bunch of things. First, my vent window seals, which were brand new when installed, have completely fallen apart. Second, the shift boot I purchased from Fusick has done the same--it's torn in several of the seams and now I'll need to purchase a new one. Last, I notice, in addition to almost every chrome strip on the brand new door panels losing their chrome, there's about a 4" long tear going down from where it looks like the arm rest screw was place. Add in a ton of chipped paint and a car still not done, and I'm really read to just blow the f!@@&^g thing up and call it a day. I'm already in the hole so far on this car that I'll never see the light of day if it's sold.

Argh. Sorry, just had to vent. If rebuilding all cars were like this one, I'd move onto model trains or something.

Actually, of note, does anyone have a picture of the inside of a B-pillar on a post car (preferrably '68 or '69). It doesn't look like the weatherstrip along the door closes the gap from window frame to B-pillar In other words, it looks like water and debris will easily be getting in the car. I'm not sure what should go there. I'll post another question about this elsewhere so people see it.
Old November 7th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Sorry to hear the problems - I feel for ya...
Someone had told me that restoration of old cars always include back steps, no matter what happens.
For your fusick part, i would call them and email lthem a picture of it. If you have your receipt, a gross failure of the material should be a warranty exchange. Give it a try - all they can do is say no....

It makes me wonder if the shop the car is in is full of fumes that deteriorate rubber and plastic. That and high heat could cause some of the deterioration.

Since you are in the hole on it (as most of us end up), do not give up or all is lost. Most of us put more in the restos than what we can sell them for.
Do you have an alternate place to work on the car?
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:33 PM

I get the idea that maybe a few things have been switched. When the car went in it didn't have all those problems. How long has the car been there since you last saw it?

Gene
Old November 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM

what kind of door panels do you have pui or legendary?
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
I get the idea that maybe a few things have been switched.
I had the same thought.

- Eric
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Fusick is having a problem with the inner shifter boots. They no longer sell them (other than what's left on the shelf) & they don't have a new source for them yet (as of about a month ago)
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Fusick is having a problem with the inner shifter boots. They no longer sell them (other than what's left on the shelf) & they don't have a new source for them yet (as of about a month ago)
They're still in the 2010 catalog.

Has anyone tried the OPGI boot? I'm wondering if it's made by the same place.