General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Another Great American gone!

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Another Great American gone!

Bob Feller passed away today, he was 92. RIP Rapid Robert! He and the Cleveland Indians were inseperable!
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
Bob Feller passed away today, he was 92. RIP Rapid Robert! He and the Cleveland Indians were inseperable!
So was Custer and the Montana Souix...was he a baseball player?
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Yes, baseball player and great gentleman. Started pitching for the Indians when he was 17. I guess being from Ohio I heard alot about him but it seems no interest here even from the Ohio crew.
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Registered

I pity people with no sense of humor.

Bob Feller will be sorely missed , one of the classiest most fan friendly guys to ever play the game. A legend in Cleveland and the pride of Iowa, you could meet him for the first time and he would act like you were a long lost friend.

One of the best right handed pitchers to ever play the game,
266 games won, 3 no hitters and 19 one hitters.
That was with his prime pitching years spent fighting on a battleship in WWII.
He could of played a couple of years more and waited to be drafted like most players but he joined up right after Pearl Harbor.
Sports writers to this day ponder what his record would of been if it weren't for the war.
Rest in Peace Rapid Robert.
Go Tribe!!
Old December 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
but it seems no interest here even from the Ohio crew.
Oh, we did take notice. Problem is, he was active so long ago that it was before many of us were alive or at least can remember. Hell, my father, who is 80, was only 6 years old when Feller started pitching. He was active in the majors into the mid-1950s, but most of the accomplishments for which he is known occured in the late '30s and '40s. Not that he shouldn't be honored, of course. He should be. But, to many, he's just a figure in the history books.
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:30 PM

He also was a great hero. He joined the Navy 2 days after Pearl Harbor! Gave up 4 years of his career. Like Ted Williams he put country first before baseball. Williams also was drafted for The Korean war. Can you imagine what these two would have for stats if they had not missed so many years.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Oh, we did take notice. Problem is, he was active so long ago that it was before many of us were alive or at least can remember. Hell, my father, who is 80, was only 6 years old when Feller started pitching. He was active in the majors into the mid-1950s, but most of the accomplishments for which he is known occured in the late '30s and '40s. Not that he shouldn't be honored, of course. He should be. But, to many, he's just a figure in the history books.
May be true but he stayed active with the Indians to the end and pitched at Spring training camp every year to let the fans say that they had batted against the great Bob Feller. The greatest players of the game should never be forgotten no matter how many years ago they played. They were true heros who played for the love of the game and not so much for money like todays players.