General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Another clunker bill...

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Another clunker bill...

Here is the gist of the story:

It's called cash-for-clunkers. It’s a program that offers car owners as much as a $4,500 credit on the purchase of a new car. All they would have to do is trade in the old one.

While I can agree with the potential of increasing the liklihood of people buying a new car, what I fear is that those sub-4500 restoration candidates or parts cars or even good daily drivers are going to come off the market for the collectors such as us. Further, it will likely reduce the number of nostalgic cars thirty years down the road. So, while we might not consider too many cars of the 80s and 90s collectible, you can rest assured that today's younger generations will be seeking them out just becuase that is what they grew up with. Will they be around? Will the ones that remain be affordable?

What does that do to the value of a "decent" vintage Oldsmobile if a clunker is worth 4500?

Instead of handing the big three auto companies huge checks, why not send tax payers a voucher for a bunch of money off on a new car? That would stimulate on-the-fence consumers into buying, and would not be likely to negatively impact the old car hobby, which represents a considerable tax base as it is.

Any incentive is going to come out of taxpayer's pockets, so why not allow us to determine how we want to spend it? Give me a voucher that can be used towards a car... a house... a boat... a camper... or any other purchase we choose. Make stipulations that it be American made (or at least a significant percentage of it).

No matter what the decision, I am sure someone will screw it up...
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tclaemont
Here is the gist of the story:

It's called cash-for-clunkers. It’s a program that offers car owners as much as a $4,500 credit on the purchase of a new car. All they would have to do is trade in the old one.

While I can agree with the potential of increasing the liklihood of people buying a new car, what I fear is that those sub-4500 restoration candidates or parts cars or even good daily drivers are going to come off the market for the collectors such as us. Further, it will likely reduce the number of nostalgic cars thirty years down the road. So, while we might not consider too many cars of the 80s and 90s collectible, you can rest assured that today's younger generations will be seeking them out just becuase that is what they grew up with. Will they be around? Will the ones that remain be affordable?

What does that do to the value of a "decent" vintage Oldsmobile if a clunker is worth 4500?

Instead of handing the big three auto companies huge checks, why not send tax payers a voucher for a bunch of money off on a new car? That would stimulate on-the-fence consumers into buying, and would not be likely to negatively impact the old car hobby, which represents a considerable tax base as it is.

Any incentive is going to come out of taxpayer's pockets, so why not allow us to determine how we want to spend it? Give me a voucher that can be used towards a car... a house... a boat... a camper... or any other purchase we choose. Make stipulations that it be American made (or at least a significant percentage of it).

No matter what the decision, I am sure someone will screw it up...
Here's how all of these "incentives" work. The Gov't collects tax money from the public. The Gov't spends a percentage of it on the bureaucracy to administer the program. The Gov't returns what's left to the public.

What's wrong with this picture?

And not to diminish the problems with clunker bills, but am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the Fast 'n Furious movies have caused more vintage iron to be scrapped than any cash-for-clunkers program?
Old April 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM

am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that the Fast 'n Furious movies have caused more vintage iron to be scrapped than any cash-for-clunkers program?
I wouldn't know because I have never watched those movies. I watch real car movies like Bullit, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Two Lane Blacktop.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Olds64
I wouldn't know because I have never watched those movies. I watch real car movies like Bullit, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Two Lane Blacktop.
Neither have I, but I did read the article in this month's Hot Rod about building (and destroying) the cars for the movie.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM

You should look up and see how many Mustangs and Dodges were destroyed for the movie Bullit.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
You should look up and see how many Mustangs and Dodges were destroyed for the movie Bullit.
The difference is that when that movie was made, those cars were still in production. As Jay Leno used to say for Doritos, "crunch all you want, we'll make more."

Aside from 69 Camaros and 67 Mustangs, I'm not aware of any 60s car bodies currently in production.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:52 PM

I heard that the Fast and the Furious movies were endoresed by Uncle Ben's rice and Rice-a-Roni the San Fransisco treat!
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:44 PM

I think the point of the frustration is the continual loss of liberty, freedom, and the continual legalized theft of hard earned dollars in the form of ever increasing taxes, and fees.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Just A BaBy {:

[quote=tclaemont;73629]Here is the gist of the story:

[quote]

i agree i love the 80s cars out there an if this goes on it looks like me finding a 80s Oldsmobile wont be easy with price an finding 1.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:47 PM

We could all buy one of those $2500.00 cars made in India (Nano). You could drive the snot out of it and use it as a field car then when it is trashed you can trade it in to get $4500 off the purchase of a real car....

That would be fun.