General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Accident update... 70 olds 442-w30 conv..

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2020 | 12:45 PM

Accident update... 70 olds 442-w30 conv..

Well my post was deleted for good reason...But anyway, things are coming together. Both front fenders, hood, bumper and grill came in last week...They confirmed yesterday there is no frame damage...So time of completion should be end of August or early September.....
Old July 22nd, 2020 | 01:41 PM

awesome news
can't wait to see the the old girl in her original glory
bet you can't wait either
Old July 22nd, 2020 | 02:04 PM
Administrator

Glad its on the road to recovery. Look forward to the finished product.
Old July 22nd, 2020 | 03:47 PM

I’ll gather I fortunately missed any hostilities involved in why the original post had been deleted. Ignorance is truly bliss. Regardless I am happy to read that the rather unfortunate situation appears to be coming full circle, and hope that you can ultimately put it behind you.
Old July 22nd, 2020 | 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
I’ll gather I fortunately missed any hostilities involved in why the original post had been deleted. Ignorance is truly bliss. Regardless I am happy to read that the rather unfortunate situation appears to be coming full circle, and hope that you can ultimately put it behind you.
It didn't bother me one bit..I guess it bothered a moderator.....
Old July 22nd, 2020 | 04:14 PM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by COBRA2000
Well my post was deleted for good reason...But anyway, things are coming together. Both front fenders, hood, bumper and grill came in last week...They confirmed yesterday there is no frame damage...So time of completion should be end of August or early September.....
Great news, look forward to seeing her completed!!
Old July 22nd, 2020 | 08:51 PM

Awesome, glad to hear this news
Old July 23rd, 2020 | 04:36 AM

Good news By the way your original post is still there as near as I can tell. Its just way down off the page.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...oooooo-145984/

Unless there was another one in between.
Old July 23rd, 2020 | 05:32 AM

I'm glad Hagerty will make it right. We look forward to seeing after pics.
Old July 23rd, 2020 | 07:21 AM

Thank you guys!!
Old July 23rd, 2020 | 09:13 AM

Exclamation

Be thankful that the collision was not with the driver's door......

Cars can be fixed or replaced, but your health and well being cannot.

Good lick with the repairs.
Old July 31st, 2020 | 09:11 AM

Up dated pics....

Old August 1st, 2020 | 06:30 AM

Old August 1st, 2020 | 06:31 AM

Old August 1st, 2020 | 06:32 AM

Old August 1st, 2020 | 07:42 AM

Gaps look good from here. Glad to see it on the mend. Like many others have said, could have been so much worse. Now painter just has to work their magic!
Old August 1st, 2020 | 08:17 AM

Nice!
Old August 1st, 2020 | 08:46 AM

Try to get the body shop to double check the front bumper fit before it gets chromed. Have whatever bumper you are going to use straightened first, but hold off on the chrome and nickel plate. Bring the bumper to the shop and test fit it.

You will likely find that the outsides of the bumpers need to come up to make the bumper parallel to the bottom of the headlights and the center under the hood needs to be pulled down. A good way to do this is to put wood blocks inside the parking light lens holes and then jack up the ends of the bumpers as high as you can (this can scratch the fenders which is why you want to do it before paint). You may also need to put an anchor in the concrete floor and then ratchet the center of the bumper down. If your lucky, your chrome shop is local and can help with the adjustments.

You may need to leave the bumper on the jacks for several days or more to get it to take a set - its likely you need to go up higher on the ends than fender clearance will allow if you want the metal spring back to where it needs to be. Leaving it on the jacks seems to help with this. It sounds dumb, put Paul's Chrome has told me to do this in the past to help tweak a bumper into shape.

If the bumper has already been chromed, you can still do the above to a degree. Just be careful not to crack or mar the chrome.

I am not so lucky and do not have a good chrome shop near me. So, I have had to do the above to get a good fit on my current bumper. I have also lent the chrome shop a good fitting bumper to use as a template to straighten another.

Old August 1st, 2020 | 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 70Rocket
Try to get the body shop to double check the front bumper fit before it gets chromed. Have whatever bumper you are going to use straightened first, but hold off on the chrome and nickel plate. Bring the bumper to the shop and test fit it.

You will likely find that the outsides of the bumpers need to come up to make the bumper parallel to the bottom of the headlights and the center under the hood needs to be pulled down. A good way to do this is to put wood blocks inside the parking light lens holes and then jack up the ends of the bumpers as high as you can (this can scratch the fenders which is why you want to do it before paint). You may also need to put an anchor in the concrete floor and then ratchet the center of the bumper down. If your lucky, your chrome shop is local and can help with the adjustments.

You may need to leave the bumper on the jacks for several days or more to get it to take a set - its likely you need to go up higher on the ends than fender clearance will allow if you want the metal spring back to where it needs to be. Leaving it on the jacks seems to help with this. It sounds dumb, put Paul's Chrome has told me to do this in the past to help tweak a bumper into shape.

If the bumper has already been chromed, you can still do the above to a degree. Just be careful not to crack or mar the chrome.

I am not so lucky and do not have a good chrome shop near me. So, I have had to do the above to get a good fit on my current bumper. I have also lent the chrome shop a good fitting bumper to use as a template to straighten another.

Bernhard wrote:
Very good point !
This can add a lot of hours to a repair but well worth the effort on this level of car.
Old August 1st, 2020 | 01:54 PM

Looks very nice
I hope that is a shadow/reflection on the left fender right above the front wheel?? not a dent/crease
Old August 2nd, 2020 | 06:03 AM

Thank you for ya'll's advice...
Old September 11th, 2020 | 05:40 PM

Everything is coming together....Hope to have it out of the shop end of this month or early next month...
Old September 14th, 2020 | 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by 70Rocket

Funny you mention that ...
My car had a brand new bumper on it when I got it and it is an exact representation of what you have described. It has been bothering me since day one.
I thought it might just be a bad bumper but maybe its more common than I thought.

OP, glad to see the car on its way back to its former glory!