General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

66 starfire interchange question

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Certifiable car addict...

66 starfire interchange question

Okay,

Last weekend, I picked up the full interior for a '65 starfire, which I know will fit in my '66 (nice upgrade to leather!) and I got the complete doors off the 65 as well. The doors are nice, and have power windows & vents and tinted glass (off an AC car no doubt..)

Unfortunately, my '66 does not have tinted windows. What I am wondering, is if there is any way to use '65 tinted/power quarter windows in my '66. If they come out of a hardtop '65, will they fit the '66? (I'm 99% sure the convertible windows will not work at all from my research)

I was hoping to just be able to bolt the '65 doors on as complete units and then run all the needed wiring (I have located a complete donor harness out of a '65 for the power options) but how goofy will it look to have tinted door glass, and non-tinted quarter glass?

Since I'm going to be going for the "rat-rod" look on this car anyway, I could probably just use blackout tinting on the quarter glass & rear window anyhow, but not sure if that will look right either.

Any thoughts or ideas on whether I can get away with using the '65 tinted power quarter window assemblies on the '66, or is there enough difference in them where they won't interchange...

My other option is to just leave my manual windows/doors on it and cut the holes in the door panels for the cranks. The door panels aren't perfect by any means, so not a big loss if I modify them, and they are definitely better than the current ones in the car that are falling apart. They would just look a little funny to have the power switches in place and not functioning.

Open to other suggestions/ideas as well, as this car won't be a showcar/restoration with a ton of money going into it.

-Jeff
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know about quarter window interchange in those years ('68-'72 are the same for convertible & coupe), but why not swap the door glass for the glass you've got in your car now? Annoying, but it will work.

- Eric
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Yeah, thought about that option too. I'd like to use the tinted windows if possible, but above all, it needs to look decent. The chrome trim on the tinted windows is in much nicer shape too...
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Quarter glass interchange as follows,

65-66 Starfire and Jetstar I hardtops.

Henry
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 66400
Quarter glass interchange as follows,

65-66 Starfire and Jetstar I hardtops.

Henry
Thanks a bunch Henry! Do you also happen to know if the power window regulator/motor assy will interchange as well? I suspect so, but wanted to be sure before I attempt to convert it to power.

-Jeff