General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Parts interchange between Jetstar 88 and Starfire?

Old January 25th, 2015, 09:16 AM

Parts interchange between Jetstar 88 and Starfire?

I'm building a 1965 Starfire Convertible, and I've been looking for a good condition dash pad. I have gotten a reply on an excellent example, but from a '65 Jetstar 88. Are they compatible?

It seems to me the JetstarI would be a fit, but Wiki states that the "Jetstar 88 was basically an A-body on a B-body chassis." This leads me to believe the dash would not be a fit, nor would some other pieces I'm considering (front hood lip trim and the trim around the top and outside of the headlight assembly).

Any experience/expertise is very welcome! Thanks.
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Legos
I'm building a 1965 Starfire Convertible, and I've been looking for a good condition dash pad. I have gotten a reply on an excellent example, but from a '65 Jetstar 88. Are they compatible?

It seems to me the JetstarI would be a fit, but Wiki states that the "Jetstar 88 was basically an A-body on a B-body chassis." This leads me to believe the dash would not be a fit, nor would some other pieces I'm considering (front hood lip trim and the trim around the top and outside of the headlight assembly).

Any experience/expertise is very welcome! Thanks.
This may be difficult to believe, but amazingly, not everything on Wikipedia is correct...

The J88 is a B-body platform, just like the Jetstar I, Delta 88, and Starfire. The only unique parts about the J88 are the engine, trans, rear axle, front spindles, brakes, and wheels, which are the lighter-duty parts based on those from the A-body line. All sheet metal and interior parts are common with those on other B-body Oldsmobiles (allowing for trim and upholstery differences among different models).
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Phantom Phixer

Once again , Wikipedia got it wrong.
The Jetstar 88 was a B body with some A body chassis components.
I Checked my parts book and all 65 Oldsmobiles except F-85 (Cutlass) use the same dash pad,
So , yes , the Jetstar 88 dash pad should fit your Starfire.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 25th, 2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Wrong year
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Once again , Wikipedia got it wrong.
The Jetstar 88 was a B body with some A body chassis components.
Nice edit...

Once again, the J88 chassis is the same one as used on other B-body cars. For the 1964 model year, the actual J88 frame had some minor differences from other B-body frames, namely the welded-on engine mounting tabs, but since B-body cars got 425s in the 1965 model year, even the engine mounts were the same for the 330. J88s also shared front suspension arms and steering parts with the other B-body cars. Again, only the parts I listed above are unique to the J88, and in most cases, they are NOT common with A-body parts. For example, the spindles and rear axle housing are unique to the J88. Only the brakes, hubs, and drums are common with A-body parts.
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:33 AM

Dang wiki..

And that, my friends, is why came to a more reliable source. And, I'll take some time later on to correct the Wikipedia page.

Thanks for the feedback! Any ideas on a fair price for a wrong-color dash pad with no cracks?
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:35 AM

1965?

Also, can I assume replies are consistent with 1965?
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Legos
Also, can I assume replies are consistent with 1965?
As I confirmed in my second post.
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:54 AM
Phantom Phixer

Yes, I double checked and all 65's except Cutlass use the same dash pad.

Getting one re-done is expensive. Probably several hundred dollars.
Make the seller name a price. If it's cheaper to have your's re-done then refuse it.

Dying the dash pad is easy. Get a can of SEM upholstery dye of the right color at any upholstery supply near you.

Last edited by Charlie Jones; January 25th, 2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Oldsdruid

1965 and 1966 FSC dash pads are the same. You may find a 66 with an extra small grille if it came from a Comfortron-equipped car but the dash pads are otherwise the same.
Old February 13th, 2015, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks, all. Unfortunately this dash "bust into pieces like a potato chip" upon attempt to remove. My search continues...

I do have some trim on the way based on the above info. Thanks again!
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:14 PM

I have a couple 65 Deltas for parts
not sure about the dash pads, have not looked lately.
Generally, with little sun, MI is not hard on dash pads
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:47 PM

@Octania:

If you wouldn't mind taking a look, I'm definitely interested. I'm in NM, and nothing in this part of the country survives the sun for 50 years...
Old June 16th, 2015, 05:59 AM

sorry if this is beating a dead horse but I am new to the J88/ starfire/ etc storm of confusion . New like I just bought my 64 J88 a month ago .

so I have the opportunity to buy a lot of 64 starfire parts all at once some I need some were for spares just in case . the question is what parts will swap . more specifically at this point front suspension parts .

Thank you

... if anyone knows of a posting that gives what cars interchange with 64 J88 it would outstanding !

thank you again
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Oldsdruid

Joe P is your go-to guy here.

The J88 is probably the most misunderstood Oldsmobile in the whole 107 years of production. It was for all practical purposes a big Olds for people who didn't want the thirsty big engine. To that end, smaller engine, lighter duty transmission and suspension components, and mass confusion when trying to source correct parts.

Even the factory wasn't immune. Story is told of the factory motor pool getting a bunch of 1964 J88s with their Jetaway P RNDL transmissions. The factory folks were used to HydraMatic's P NDSLR shift sequence and they'd come out for lunch, grab a motor pool J88 and instinctively pull the shifter all the way down to back out the parking space. They replaced a lot of parking lot fence that year...
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:30 AM

yes I am finding that out haha - I am trying to do what would with any "normal" easy repairs ... I tore it down thinking it was just buying easy replacement parts , not so much . I bought it with the idea its a early/mid 60s GM with plentiful and cheap parts again not so much .
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jetstar88mike
... if anyone knows of a posting that gives what cars interchange with 64 J88 it would outstanding !

thank you again
One more time...

The 1964 J88 is mechanically the same as any other 1964 Olds B-body with the following exceptions:

1) J88 engine is the 330, all others got the 394

2) J88 trans is the ST300 (Jetaway), all others got the Hydramatic

3) the J88 frame is identical to other B-body frames EXCEPT for the engine and trans mounts. The 330 engine mounts are tabs welded to the frame, so this makes the frame non-interchangeable unless you weld the tabs to a non-J88 frame.

4) the J88 uses the 9.5" drum brakes and 5x4.75" bolt pattern from the A-body cars. All other B-body cars use 11" drums and 5x5" bolt pattern.

5) due to the different front brakes, the front spindles on the J88 are unique to that car. NO other spindles interchange. All other front suspension and steering parts on the J88 are the same as those on all other B-body cars.

6) the J88 rear axle is a version of the 8.2" axle used on the A-body. The housing is unique to the 1964 J88 due to the width and control arm attach points. NO other axle interchanges. The full size cars used the Olds/Pontiac axle with the drop-out center section (like a Ford 9").

7) the J88 driveshaft is unique due to the unique trans and rear axle.

8) all J88 sheetmetal and interior parts are the same as those on other 88s. The Jetstar I and Starfire sheetmetal is the same except for the roof.

9) all J88 suspension and steering parts out to and including the ball joints and outer tie rod ends are the same as on all other B-body and C-body cars.

Hopefully this helps.