General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 Cutlass-442/SX Clone?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:21 AM

ref. '72 442 convertible?

Here are a few more photos. Oh, one more thing, one of the local olds collectors told me the 442 didn't have the bottom chrome trim strip like mine does.

Thx,

LB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Grille.jpg (33.1 KB, 37 views)
Interior Dvr.jpg (63.0 KB, 40 views)
Trunk stripes.jpg (39.9 KB, 38 views)
Passenger side.jpg (55.8 KB, 35 views)
photo 3.jpg (121.7 KB, 36 views)
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
delete

Its a nice car but could be a clone. You are correct that the spacing on the emblems seems off. The stripes look to be '70 Pace car style. Regul;ar 442 hood stripes didn't go to the back of the hood & didn't have stripes on the trunk. '72's also didnn't have 442 emblems on the glove box because it wasn't its own model. In '72 you can't decode the WIN because it wasn't its own model so unless you find some documentation you'll never know.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks, appreciate the input

LB
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:57 AM

Perhaps I should call it my "4 faux 2"
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by larrybasu87
Here are a few more photos. Oh, one more thing, one of the local olds collectors told me the 442 didn't have the bottom chrome trim strip like mine does.
Yup, clone.
No 442 had rocker chrome (that's the term for what you were trying to describe). The hood stripes are wrong, they are supposed to truncate at the end of the raised airbox scoops, and there shouldn't be any trunk stripes like that.

The spacing of the 4-4-2 on the sides and trunk was not done by template. Looks more like a bad 'eyeball' approach. Some of the numbers don't even line up and some are slightly crooked.

Overall though, nice looking car. Enjoy driving it. Unless you're a serious collector who wants everything to be right, just leave it and accept what is.

EDIT: Just noticed another thing. In 72 your glovebox should say Cutlass Supreme. 1971 was the last year that 442 was put on glovebox doors.

Last edited by Allan R; May 18th, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old May 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I'll certainly enjoy it, over all it's in great shape, the paint is very well done (albeit incorrect) and I think I paid a fair price. I'll look to restoring to a cutlass supreme in a few year perhaps.

Bottom line if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year I'm doing pretty damn good!

Thanks again
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Bottom line if this is the worst thing that happens to me this year I'm doing pretty damn good!
Totally Agree!
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM

AllanR- It looks like I might be after your car

After allot of thought and watching a great number of Youtube Videos I decided to pursue a 442. Or, at least a Cutlass/442 Clone. I've seen varying degrees of pricing and I wonder sometimes whether or not most think that slapping a Ram Air Hood and a different Bumper on the back really constitutes an extra $15,000.

This is what I'm after. Originally I was going to go for a solid black 442 (if I remember you guys correctly, Black was never an option). This is a good way of breaking up the color and giving me the bumpers and the hood I'm after.

What specifically am I looking for? Was A/C and a 455 an option? What do you think it could be had for?

Shed some wisdom!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23768530@N05/3825291720/
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by edmck82
After allot of thought and watching a great number of Youtube Videos I decided to pursue a 442. Or, at least a Cutlass/442 Clone. I've seen varying degrees of pricing and I wonder sometimes whether or not most think that slapping a Ram Air Hood and a different Bumper on the back really constitutes an extra $15,000.

What specifically am I looking for? Was A/C and a 455 an option? What do you think it could be had for?
Ram Air Hood in Olds terms is called OAI (outside air induction) pricing depends on who you buy from. And to make it functional you need the OAI breather setup under the hood. I priced it out for my car and the hood alone came to around 4500.00 for a Thornton installed - without the breather. Shipping to Canada is very pricy and body shop labor here c/w water borne paint to match = extra $$$$.

Is it worth it? Only if you really want or need it.

re: A/C and 455 as options? Absolutely. A/C is factory option C60. The 455 would be shown as a letter in the VIN. For 72 it would be a U or X for the A Body. But Yes, you could get all that in 72. If you wanted the X code 455, you ordered the W30 package. All other 72 A body 455's were U code

Not sure about something so I'm going to ask. Was that picture a car that you want to buy? Or is it an example of what you want to do?

Going with a solid black car (code 19) - there's NOTHING wrong with doing that. I only mentioned before that it wasn't a Cutlass color in 72 from looking at the dealer ordering guide. I don't get why though, because all other years they had black. One of the guys here is doing his (1970 but exactly same body) in black with white side stripe and OAI hood stripes. (oldzzy) His car just got painted and it looks killer. Here's a link to his build thread that shows the finishing paint job...https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post405755

Last edited by Allan R; July 10th, 2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: fix word
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ram Air Hood in Olds terms is called OAI (outside air induction) pricing depends on who you buy from. And to make it functional you need the OAI breather setup under the hood. I priced it out for my car and the hood alone came to around 4500.00 for a Thornton installed - without the breather. Shipping to Canada is very pricy and body shop labor here c/w water borne paint to match = extra $$$$.

re: A/C and 455 as options? Absolutely. A/C is factory option C60. The 455 would be shown as a letter in the VIN. For 72 it would be a U or X for the A Body. But Yes, you could get all that in 72. If you wanted the X code 455, you ordered the W30 package. All other 72 A body 455's were U code

Not sure about something so I'm going to ask. Was that picture a car that you want to buy? Or is it an example of what you want to do?

Going with a solid black car (code 19) - there's NOTHING wrong with doing that. I only mentioned before that it wasn't a Cutlass color in 72 from looking at the dealer ordering guide. I don't get why though, because all other years they had black. One of the guys here is doing his (1970 but exactly same body) in black with white side stripe and OAI hood stripes. (oldzzy) His car just got painted and it looks killer. Here's a link to his build thread that shows the finishing paint job...https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post405755
Fixed it for ya.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:17 PM

Ram Air Hood in Olds terms is called OAI (outside air injection) pricing depends on who you buy from. And to make it functional you need the OAI breather setup under the hood. I priced it out for my car and the hood alone came to around 4500.00 for a Thornton installed - without the breather. Shipping to Canada is very pricy and body shop labor here c/w water borne paint to match = extra $$$$.

A big thank you for the information. Yes the pic I sent was one of the ideas that I had. I purely want to go for a 442 or a Cutlass Clone. The rear end shown on the pic I attached is the direction I'm after. Since I first created this post, I've had a few chances to see them in person and favored it a bit more. I like it how the top on that car sort of breaks things up a bit. The hood scoop doesn't have to be functional. But the look of that OAI hood has always been a must for me. That particular rear end as well. A solid hardtop version of that car in solid black w/white pinstriping and racing stripes would be killer. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find allot of pics. The spoiler is something I'm not a fan of.

1. With the pic I attached - What would that be considered? ex: 1972 Olds 442.......
2. Solid Black version w/pinstriping minus faux top? The thread link you sent me was a perfect example of that.

Thanks again!

Last edited by edmck82; July 10th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Fixed it for ya.
Thx Ken. Musta had a grey moment there!

The rear end shown on the pic I attached is the direction I'm after. Since I first created this post, I've had a few chances to see them in person and favored it a bit more. I like it how the top on that car sort of breaks things up a bit. The spoiler is something I'm not a fan of.

1. With the pic I attached - What would that be considered? ex: 1972 Olds 442.......
2. Solid Black version w/pinstriping minus faux top? The thread link you sent me was a perfect example of that.
The pic you linked appears to be a 72 442. Can just see the 442 badging on the front left corner. I totally agree that on that color, the black vinyl 'makes' the car. IMO it would look better with the wide W30 stripes, but it has the narrow 3 W29 ones. Don't forget that in 1972 the 442 was more of an appearance and handling package than performance.

A solid black (without vinyl roof) would be really awesome. If you're going with the 'clone' approach - you might as well also add the 442 grills, and handling package. (FE2 suspension). The deck wing (spoiler) was not offered on the 72 so no worries on that. It lasted only up till mid production of the 71 models.

I also like having the trunk rocket on the rear deck to accent the keyhole.

FYI, the pic in my signature is an image of what I want mine to be. If you look at my album, it's almost there. Here are some more pics for you to enjoy. This car is also a 442 clone - note the rocker chrome.
Attached Images
1972 cutlass 221.jpg (132.4 KB, 21 views)
1972 cutlass 223.jpg (132.2 KB, 23 views)
72 442.jpg (70.5 KB, 19 views)
1972 cutlass 225.jpg (94.5 KB, 16 views)
1972 cutlass 228.jpg (100.6 KB, 14 views)
Old July 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Runner

Did you buy it off the guy from Texas? I was floored when I saw pics of it. Like I said, it completely changed my perception of Cutlass' and 442's. Do you have any other pics? If I remember correctly from some of the Google pics you have bumper cutouts?

Everyone else - Does anyone have pics of the Cutlass with the N10 bumper cutouts?
I did and it does have the cut out bumper too.

Old October 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM

Thx Ken. Musta had a grey moment there!

The pic you linked appears to be a 72 442. Can just see the 442 badging on the front left corner. I totally agree that on that color, the black vinyl 'makes' the car. IMO it would look better with the wide W30 stripes, but it has the narrow 3 W29 ones. Don't forget that in 1972 the 442 was more of an appearance and handling package than performance.

A solid black (without vinyl roof) would be really awesome. If you're going with the 'clone' approach - you might as well also add the 442 grills, and handling package. (FE2 suspension). The deck wing (spoiler) was not offered on the 72 so no worries on that. It lasted only up till mid production of the 71 models.

I also like having the trunk rocket on the rear deck to accent the keyhole.

FYI, the pic in my signature is an image of what I want mine to be. If you look at my album, it's almost there. Here are some more pics for you to enjoy. This car is also a 442 clone - note the rocker chrome.
Greatly appreciated and thanks for the insight. The picture shown above exemplifies what I've been after. I'll agree, a rocket keyhole cover for the rear trunk would be a nice touch. I've seen soo many different website that either have it listed as a 1972 Oldsmobile 442 or just a Cutlass from the same year. For my Olds 83 Cutlass Supreme I always called the 1/4 top a Landau Top. Would this technically be called a Vinyl Top? Was it offered on the 442's?

I'm not looking for a pedigree 442 and wouldn't even dream of buying one. Some of the prices online are astronomical so I wouldn't mind a Cutlass/442 clone.

Here's another picture. To me, the Vinyl top breaks the lines up on the car perfectly. So what is it that I'm after now?

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

For my Olds 83 Cutlass Supreme I always called the 1/4 top a Landau Top. Would this technically be called a Vinyl Top? Was it offered on the 442's?

To me, the Vinyl top breaks the lines up on the car perfectly. So what is it that I'm after now?
It's been awhile....
Your 83 reference to 'landau' roof is correct. My cars that had the 'landau' top were usually padded vinyl and there was a special trim that framed it all in. I don't see any harm in calling it a vinyl roof. Something like this Toronado pic

For the 72 vinyl roof, there is a special grain pattern for factory correct (not sure but I think it was 'elk grain?'. But like you said you're not looking for pedigree, so any kind of vinyl top you want to choose will be just fine. What you should get though are the following items:
- roof drip scalp moldings ( 6 pieces that go on the roof drip)
- vinyl trim moldings (6 pieces - go on the quarter panel and frame in the lower portion of the vinyl roof) The front and back pieces are repopped, but the long piece in between isn't.

The rest of the vinyl is framed by the front and rear window trim. Trunk rocket trim is repopped, but requires a bit of modification to sit flush on the deck. Check out these 2 threads by oldzzy for reference:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...et-emblem.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post452098

Get a good shop to install the vinyl so you don't have quality control issues.
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:47 AM

I have a car that might interest you that I am thinking of selling. 1972 442 "U" code 455 car. The car has a factory OAI hood, 455 (NOM) TH400, A/C, SSIII wheels, etc. Car is extremely solid and runs and drives excellent. Saturn Gold w/ blck top,( stripes and seats. I am in Maryland. $15,000.00
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I have a car that might interest you that I am thinking of selling. 1972 442 "U" code 455 car. The car has a factory OAI hood, 455 (NOM) TH400, A/C, SSIII wheels, etc. Car is extremely solid and runs and drives excellent. Saturn Gold w/ blck top,( stripes and seats. I am in Maryland. $15,000.00

PM Sent.