General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1st step???

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:33 PM

1st step???

i picked up a 71 cutlass s. needs body panel work+paint. but i think i can get away without replacing the floors. so what i wanna know being this is my 1st old school car, i am not looking to sink 15k into this car. but i want it to look real nice. so should i just wire brush the underfloors and por-15 them and the frame? and then just do a complete bushing replacement? then reseal the engine? i got the car for $1650 and its a 44k mile origional 1 owner car. interior is mint,vinal top is in great shape, and all chrome trim is nice. so whats the 1st step? body 1st? then engine?
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:12 AM

With 44k miles I wouldn't rebuild the engine or transmission. You can go several different ways on the restoration. The most basic would be to leave the frame on the body and strip the paint, seal the body with an epoxy primer, do the body work and then paint it. Any extra detailed work will add to the quality of the restoration. Alot of people get lost during the process and lose direction and the cars sit half torn apart for years. You better have a plan, some guidence, and some money.
It looks like a great car to fix up.
Good luck,
Dave
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
car guy

Just remember for every thing you take off there is only 2-3 more bolts to take off what was under it

Seriously you need to set a realistic goal based on you skills, tools and money you have to spend. Write out details of what you want to accomplish and follow your own details. I buy and sell projects sometimes and my favorite thing to find is a car someone took all the way apart and realise they they are way over their head and lose interest.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Registered

Always get the car mechanically sound then go for cosmetics, unless you're selling it. Too many people do it backwards and are sorry for it later. Get the underbody and suspension done and you have a solid foundation for whatever is next and it's out of the way and all secure. You can check all your lines for any problems, paint the control arms when you have them off for the bushings, do front springs if it needs them. Suspension work and painting the frame/underbody almost has to go hand in hand or you can't get to a lot of those areas to finish them later.
Brakes are the most important thing on any vehicle, should always make sure those are in shape first. I hate when the car won't stop and you have to lay on the horn and scream out the window "GOT...NO...BRAKES!!!!"
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM

all great advice guys. i had the rite idea of what to do first, just wanted to see if it was rite or not... im gonna ditch the 2barrel and go with the 4 and a upgraded cam. fix the trans leak,maybe put a 2800 stall w/trans cooler, get the exhaust figured out and then go from there.. oh and do a front disc swap. ill probably go with some spintech mufflers.. i love the way they sound.
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM
One of None W-31

If a street driven car, the 2800 converter may be a bit too high. You can avoid the slippage and the need for an additional trans cooler by staying in the 2300- 2500 range. For the street this is fine. I have a TCI 2400 converter and my tires spin till the car starts going in a circle.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; March 15th, 2010 at 09:32 PM.