General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1972 Cutlass sport mirror glass

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2018 | 02:17 PM

1972 Cutlass sport mirror glass

Hi all ! So I'm getting ready for show season and the OCA Nats. in Gettysburg ! I'm so psyched for the meets arrival, I've looked all through You tube without any luck. Does anyone have any instructions or a link for removing the old glass and replacing the glass on the side view ( Sport Mirrors ). The passenger side is manual and the drivers side has the remote cable. I have the new glass but am not interested in gluing the new glass onto the existing glass. And replacing the sport mirrors is not an option since the car was custom painted back in 2006 and we did the clear coat with blue pearl added. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue !
Old March 25th, 2018 | 07:15 PM

If I remember right the glass piece itself is just glued to the plastic piece that holds it. I think there are four or five dabs of adhesive? Hate to say it but breaking it might be the best option and then cleaning up whatever is left. Maybe try a heat gun see if that loosens the adhesive enough to where it could come off easily?
Old March 25th, 2018 | 08:15 PM

I agree that is the best way to remove and install new glass, great advice Scott.
Old March 25th, 2018 | 09:23 PM
Rodney

Mirror glass

Ragtop:
Where did you buy the mirror glass? My mirrors are very scratched and I'd like to repair them. Thanks!
Old March 26th, 2018 | 04:20 AM

Most Olds specialty parts hoses sell them. Mine came from The Parts Place but OPGI and Fusick also have them.
Old March 26th, 2018 | 04:54 AM
Rodney

I didn't know they were so readily available. Do the parts houses all sell the same product or are some parts higher in quality than others? I've purchased a few parts from The Parts Place, and I was not very impressed with the quality of the parts. Fusick has been pretty good, and I've never bought anything from OPGI. Thanks for the info.
Old March 26th, 2018 | 10:22 AM

I've purchased from pretty much all of them while restoring my convertible. Quality can vary a lot in some items. I think that most in this site would agree that overall Fusick may be best but their part assortment is more limited than others. Parts Place has a bigger assortment but their quality is sometimes not great. OPGI has a big assortment but are typically the highest cost. inline Tube has a ton of harder to find parts and their quality is generally pretty good - I spent a lot of money with them and was happy with most of it.

A lot of parts for our Oldsmobiles are actually only made by one supplier no matter where you buy it. On those, just shop for price. I suspect the mirror glass falls into that category.
Old March 26th, 2018 | 04:04 PM

FWIW, here's a lesson I learned the hard way. Unless you're absolutely certain that your mirrors really are stock application (not a very-nearly-identical swap from another car) then going to a glass vendor may be better.
I eventually had to send templates of my glass to "bustedautoglass-parts" on ebay and they dug through the catalog to figure out where they actually came from and got matching glass.
If you're quite certain that your mirrors really are OEM Olds mirrors, then order from your favorite vendor.
Old March 26th, 2018 | 06:15 PM

X2^^^. I am having the same issue. Also note that one side of the glass is convex and the other is concave. Not too noticeable until you glue it in backwards
Old March 27th, 2018 | 12:33 AM

On my 70 SX I bought repo mirrors and coming back from a car show the passenger glass fell off going down the road. I went to a glass store that does windshields and they cut a mirror for me with the two sided tape and never came off again.
Old March 27th, 2018 | 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sampson
X2^^^. I am having the same issue. Also note that one side of the glass is convex and the other is concave. Not too noticeable until you glue it in backwards

Nice car Sampson! I think I have its twin!