What did I break?

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM

Question What did I break?

I have a '71 Cutlass Supreme with AC. I pulled a bit too hard on a wire and broke it loose. It came from the upper passenger fender well, just below the hood hinge.

It's a good-sized black wire that runs about 6 inches or so from up inside the passenger fender and then connects to a red wire that feeds into the main harness through the firewall.

Feeling around up in the top of the fender, I think I feel a condenser or resistor mounted in a bracket. But it's hard to tell exactly how it's mounted - or how it comes out. What is it? And how do I get to it to replace it?

I know... I need a manual. I'll drop a hint to the wife for Father's Day, but meanwhile, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:58 PM

It sounds like your blower motor hot wire, a photo would help.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Yep, sounds like blower wire. Check to see if the heater or AC fan still works...
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by tmbrennan
And how do I get to it to replace it?

I know... I need a manual. I'll drop a hint to the wife for Father's Day, but meanwhile, any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Tim
I'm going to suggest the best, and probably only way you're going to fix this is to drop out your passenger side inner fender. That's a bit of work, trust me, I've done it too. Here's a link to Robs thread "underhood restoration" that shows the resistor location and the blower motor really well. Keep in mind he didn't have inner liners on the car when this was done. check out the second pic down. Pretty retarded how they designed that isn't it? https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post328021

While you're waiting for FD an d need a manual?? Clik on the link under my signature and join Wild About Cars for FREE. They have the 71 Chassis Service Manual and Assembly Manual in pdf format in "The Library".
www.WildAboutCars.com If you run into any problems navigating that site LMK and I'll help you.

In the meantime here's a sample of the Assembly Manual. This section shows you the location of that resistor...See page 14 of 27 http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...12__Part-2.pdf
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks a lot for the links - very helpful!

It's funny how they designed some things - like they actually went to a lot of trouble to mount it where no one can get to it!

I'll give it a shot - or break out the 4" hole saw!

Thanks!!
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by tmbrennan
It's funny how they designed some things - like they actually went to a lot of trouble to mount it where no one can get to it! I'll give it a shot - or break out the 4" hole saw!
I think that's the concensus of anyone who's ever had to change out a blower motor or noise capacitor. I'd seriously drop the wheel liner before I tried cutting a hole in it. You might be able to get the wiring without full removal of the liner. Never really tried it that way....