Convertible Top Short Circuit

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Convertible Top Short Circuit

If anyone know how to troubleshoot the convertible top can you please help me out. I have been working on an issue with my 71 cutlass convertible for a long time and I think I have narrowed it down to the convertible top. Whenever I press the convertible top button my stereo shuts off. It is an aftermarket unit with amplifiers connected. I have checked all the stereo and amp connections and everything is tight and grounded, but whenever I raise or lower the top on the car the stereo shuts off and comes back on. I have narrowed the problem to the convertible top or motor were should I start.
Old August 7th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There's nothing wrong.

The top motor draws a large amount of current, causing the voltage to drop.
The modern stereo is sensitive to input voltage, and shuts itself down whenever voltage is below a specified level, to protect itself.

This drop in voltage was considered normal when the car was designed, because at the time, there were no components that sensitive to voltage.

IF your system is in good shape (proper alternator output current and voltage, reasonably good connections), you MAY be able to improve the voltage by a tenth of a volt or so by running wires for the stereo and the top motor directly to the battery, and by replacing the battery with a new one, and that MAY be enough, but I wouldn't count on it.

- Eric