Turn signal flasher

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Turn signal flasher

I have been looking for a replacement turn signal flasher for my 1976 Delta 88 Royale. The one that came out of the car is a Tung-sol 697. It is a 3 terminal flasher. My local parts stores only show 2 terminal flashers for this model. They also can't cross the Tung-Sol 697 number. Does anyone know what to replace it with?
Thanks
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Oldsdruid

Tell them to get their heads out of the computer and look in an accurate parts book. 3-terminal flashers are common; AutoZone website (for one) shows several available.

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...?checkfit=true
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Tell them to get their heads out of the computer and look in an accurate parts book.
Good luck with that. About the only parts store around here that still has paper catalogs is NAPA, and most of the counter staff don't even know how to find anything in it.
Old October 5th, 2016, 07:40 AM

I am still not having any luck finding a replacement. The only 3 terminal flashers that any of my area parts store can suggest is a "550" style. The terminal pattern does not match mine. I also can't find any cross references for the numbers on the original flasher (see earlier post). Does anyone have a parts book on this model or have a cross reference for the original? All parts store show a 2 terminal flasher for this model.
The wiring looks stock to me so I don't have any reason to think it was changed from the factory. We have had this car in the family since it was new.
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by fourohorsefarm
The only 3 terminal flashers that any of my area parts store can suggest is a "550" style. The terminal pattern does not match mine.
This is the only three terminal flasher pattern that I could locate on the internet. If yours is different than this, what pattern is it?

Old October 5th, 2016, 04:13 PM

Well, I did a search for Tung-Sol 697 and came up with some hits on ebay.

$60 for one of these things sounds ridiculous. Plus it specifically says it is not for a GM vehicle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-NOS-3-Pr...567559?vxp=mtr
Old October 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM

Well I found a suprise tonight. After much under dash searching, I found a 3rd relay can. I did some testing and it appears that the TS 697 relay was not the turn signal flasher. Here is what is under the dash:
552 flasher(in corner of fuse block)--hazard flasher
552 flasher(hanging under dash under instrument panel,6" long wires)--turn signal flasher
TS 697(hanging off wiring harness beside fuse block,2" long wires)--???
Old October 5th, 2016, 06:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I searched as well, and I've got to say I'm surprised at how little there is out there.

It looks like these were used on at least all fullsize GMs starting in '76, and possibly others as well, so they should be everywhere.

I've got a '75 CSM, but not a '76, so I can't see how it's wired, but I would bet that if a schematic can be located, we could come up with a modern workaround.

- Eric

edit: Cross-posted.

Looks like we really need a look at the schematic.

The 552 is probably not technically correct for the turnsignals, but should work fine.
Old October 5th, 2016, 07:42 PM

Key warning buzzer?