Won't start

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Where were you in '72?

Won't start

I've got a real mess on my hands...I'm trying to startup my new rebuilt 350 and have a partially installed wiring harness just enough to start and break in my cam. Initially the solenoid was kicking in but the starter wouldn't spin, I checked both the starter and the solenoid with 12v power source and it checked out. I replaced the solenoid anyway with a NAPA solenoid and all I hear now is a faint click. I'm pretty sure the starter and solenoid aren't the issue. One issue I'm having is if I turn on the turn signal the coil starts clicking in sync with the flasher and the 12v at the ignition/flasher 20a fuse goes from 12v to 0v in sync with the flasher (???). My problem may be related to a ground on the wiring harness not hooked up or maybe a short, I got about 22ohms from 12v to ground.

Here's what i've checked;
- ground from battery to block
- ground from block to chassis
- good battery
- good coil
- jumpered purple wire (neutral switch)
- have connected only ignition switch connectors, flat connector on steering column
- 4 12v connections to power take off
I do have a pertoronix hooked up (black wire to coil negative and red wire going to fuse panel ignition 12v. When I replaced with points the symptoms were similar although I didn't get the clicking from the coil when flashers turned on.
Hopefully someone can give me something fresh...I'm dying to start this thing.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Land Yacht Captain

If all you want to do is get it started to break in the engine then bypass the vehicle harness all together for now.

Give power and ground to the coil & distributor and activate the starter using a jumper wire.

Deal with the other issue once you are done and 100% of the wiring is connected.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM

I had the same problem with my starter the other night, try taking a broomstick and tapping the starter around where the brushes are, could be one of the brushes is stuck.
Old September 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
If all you want to do is get it started to break in the engine then bypass the vehicle harness all together for now.

Give power and ground to the coil & distributor and activate the starter using a jumper wire.

Deal with the other issue once you are done and 100% of the wiring is connected.
Make sure you have 12v at the starter on the large cable. Jumper your starter solenoid to get it to crank. hook up 12v at the coil for power to your ignition and your good to go! To turn the car off, remove the jumper at the coil.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM

You're in ottawa? That's awesome, i picked my cutlass up from just north of ottawa near gatineau.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Where were you in '72?

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Make sure you have 12v at the starter on the large cable. Jumper your starter solenoid to get it to crank. hook up 12v at the coil for power to your ignition and your good to go! To turn the car off, remove the jumper at the coil.
Thanks guys, I'll give this a try.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Where were you in '72?

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
You're in ottawa? That's awesome, i picked my cutlass up from just north of ottawa near gatineau.
My cutlass is a bit of a Frankenstein, the only parts that are original are the block and transmission.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM

I feel that man, the previous owner of my car did absolutely everything wrong, i'm rewiring the ignition now because i found out he connected a resistor wire to a HEI BAT terminal..
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Land Yacht Captain

At least with your cars you can buy reproduction wiring harnesses. Not like mine!!! LOL
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Where were you in '72?

Well I hooked everything up and jumpered the solenoid, only the solenoid engages...do I have a link problem between the solenoid and the starter...I tested the starter with 12v and it works.
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Tap the starter with something not metal, like a broom stick or the wood end of the hammer, maybe the brushes are stuck, does the starter turn at all?
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Where were you in '72?

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Tap the starter with something not metal, like a broom stick or the wood end of the hammer, maybe the brushes are stuck, does the starter turn at all?
If I apply 12v to the starter post it spins like no tomorrow...the starter and the solenoid is activated when you jumper the S and power posts right?
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Land Yacht Captain

One small terminal is to activate the starter. The other is for the power bypass to the coil during cranking.
Old September 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Where were you in '72?

I swapped out the starter, used the new solenoid and it worked on the bench. The old starter has a connection problem between the solenoid and the starter.
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:40 PM

But does it turn the engine? Make sure the engine will turn by hand and it is not too tight after a rebuild especially if you did not do the rebuild yourself..... just making sure...
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Where were you in '72?

It started and actually ran, but dies right away. The engine sound fantastic, well tuned...I had to run a ground using a jumper cable down to my starter, looks like it's not grounding very well. Could this be my problem?
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Where were you in '72?

I put a little fuel down the front primary vent and there is fuel in the glass filter to the carb from the fuel pump, wonder if this is an electrical issue. Starts, runs for a few seconds and dies.
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM

You may want to put some fuel in the carb thru the top vent in case the carb is going dry or no fuel is getting there... Make sure the coil is being fed constant voltage so the eng can continue to run.
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Where were you in '72?

I did pour fuel into the vent initially, it appears to be getting fuel. I have a 12v feed going to the plus side of the coil. Is it possible that I might have a vacuum issue, I rebuilt the Qjet and muttled through the manual to get the vacuum setup, this is a '77 olds Qjet so it's a little different.
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Land Yacht Captain

I keep some fresh fuel in a spray bottle for just such an occasion.
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Where were you in '72?

Is it possible to setup a funnel on the front carb vent and fill with fuel, the floats should modulate the fuel intake right?
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by boondocker
Is it possible to setup a funnel on the front carb vent and fill with fuel, the floats should modulate the fuel intake right?
If you work the throttle while the engine is not running you should see the carb accel pump squirt gas jets into the carb. If it does this chances are the carb has enough fuel....the funnel thing should not be necessary and you cannot meter the fuelproperly....the carb floats should do that. Is your ignition timing correct and dwell if using a points distributer....block off your vacuum sources at the engine to be sure its not a vacuum leak....
Old September 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Land Yacht Captain

DO you have a plenty of fresh fuel in the tank? If so it shouldn't take long once the engine is running.

Also was the carb ever setup? Maybe do the base carb setup.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; September 13th, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Where were you in '72?

Well with all the cranking and not starting the engine is getting tight
...I found my problem, a loose connection to the coil. I'm guessing I've probably lunched the bearings...is it possible to reprime the oiling system and perhaps servive this mess.
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM

I dont know how much you cranked the engine but cranking also spins the oil pump and gets oil flowing.....chances are your battery is now weak causing slow spinning and starters too get hot causing the same effect.....I would not suspect a bearing problem at this point...
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Land Yacht Captain

LOL your fine. Just let everything cool down and recharge the battery. A general rule to prevent damage to the starter motor is:

Starter should operate for 30 seconds maximum then let to cool down for 2 minutes.
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Where were you in '72?

Pardon my panic, I've been working on this project for $ome time now and all I hear lately is bearing seizures. I'll chillax and hopefully tomorrow bears fruit. thanks guys
Old September 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM

I had the same carb on my cutlass before i changed to the 1405 edelbrock,

I actually went to canadian tire and bought the manual choke kit for the quadrajet. It's like 10 bucks. You strap it on to the housing, and bam, i could start that thing even in -20 montreal temperatures.