two questions 56 olds 88 324

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2011 | 02:47 PM

two questions 56 olds 88 324

First can anyone put their finger on the number 1 plug wire on your distributor cap and snap a photo for me.second what is the two wire plug for that is in the harness with the oil pressure sender wire.I have asked on the vintage section but there isnt much traffic there lately and i really want to start this thing this week.And its been six years since i tore it apart so crs is coming around.Thanks Glen
Old October 29th, 2011 | 05:32 PM

Someone correct me if I am wrong,but first find # 1 plug and wire,then pop the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is at. If necessary move the rotor to where you want #1 (mine is at 6 o'clock on the firewall).Hook up plug to wire and wire to distributor. From now on that is #1.Follow firing order on the manifold(I believe Olds distributor turns counter clock but check before installing the rest of the wires).You should be good to go.

I don't understand your second question,It would be easier if I could look at my car but it's not at home tonight. Do you have a shop manual? That would help a bunch.... Hope this gets you going....Tedd
Old October 29th, 2011 | 06:40 PM

I do have a manual,the wireing schematic is wierd ,those two wires dont appear where they are on the car so its hard to tell where they go.Are you saying if i put #1 cylinder at tdc and drop the distributor in anywhere the rotor points at #1 no matter where it points? Sorry but like i said its been years since dissasembly,i got divorced and moved ,so you can imagine the boxes of crap i have from this car and a stripped out donor i had.I just decided i needed it done a while back and have been working like a dog on it in my spare time.The distributor was rebuilt at a speed shop and advance curve changed to work with pertronix ignitor.Thanks for the reply and let me know if you figure it out.Glen
Old October 29th, 2011 | 06:54 PM

That's correct, as long as your vacuum canistor on the distributor clears for timing adjustment and you at top dead center on #1 that's that where you start in a counter clockwise manner to connect your firing order. Or course it always helps if your plug wires fit with correct length as well.
Old October 30th, 2011 | 02:50 AM

Thank you guys ill be on it in a few minutes as soon as i finish my coffee.now if i can figure out the vaqcum lines from the fuel pump.
Old November 4th, 2011 | 03:09 AM

Just an update,I spent some time stareing at the wiring diagram and engine harness and reading my manual all at the same time.I ran across the page about temp sender and found that it is a two wire unit.The last owner parted out a 55 and apperantly installed the wrong temp sender a one wire unit.So by looking for the one wire for the temp sender i had replaced and not finding it i realized the two wire plug is for the appropriate temp sender.Sorry if you spent time trying to figure that out for me.
Can you say DUHHH.