Turn Signals don't work, Hazard's Work, Generator Light on at start up

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Turn Signals don't work, Hazard's Work, Generator Light on at start up

Working on a 1968 Toronado

So I dunno what the hay happened.

Installed a new HEI, doing a points conversion.

Wired the 12v for the distributor to the heavy pink wire on the ignition switch. But in the process, thought (key word..thought) the battery was disconnected, but it wasn't. Accidently bumped the heavy red wire on the ignition switch to ground..spark. The ignition switch plug was unplugged from the switch when this happened.

So now...the generator light it on bright when you start it up, but will go out if you rev it up quick...then it goes out and works fine.

The turn signal's do nothing with the engine off.

The turn signals do nothing if engine is running, but the generator light is on.

The turn signals don't work when the generator light goes out, but there is what looks like a circuit breaker behind the upper kick panel that clicks when you turn on the turn signals.

Hazards work.

I've swapped the turn signal flasher with the one in my 75 Delta88...it works in the Delta, and the Delta's still doesn't work in the Toronado.

Could a voltage regulator be the cause? What's the circuit breaker thing in the upper kick panel for?

I've been upside most of the day looking under the dash...my head hurts!
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:40 AM
Oldsdruid

Don't have my 68 wiring diagram handy, but my guess is you fried a fusible link. Look on the junction block post on RH fenderwell and see if there's a burnt wire anywhere. Keep in mind it may not be obvious. You can get new fusible links at any parts store. They'll be generic, but they will fit and function as original.

That circuit breaker is for the power windows and seat. It should have no effect on turn signals.

There should be a 12v switch-controlled power tap somewhere on the fuse box that would have prevented all this. The ignition switch pink wire feeds the resistance wire in the ignition circuit so make sure you actually have 12v at the HEI. It may drop voltage down the 7v or so points require, which will play havoc with an electronic ignition.

You might as well have the alternator checked because a voltage surge to ground like that could easily have blown out one of the diodes, which would cause the weird warning light operation. Check the VR points too as they could have welded together.

Good luck.
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Administrator

I know that when my ignition switch acts up, for some reason when I select the directionals my gen light will come on. I can tell when it's going to do it as my volt meter will only show 12v with the key on. I believe it has something to do with where or how you tied your HEI power wire. Go back and check your work.
Old December 29th, 2014, 07:52 AM

This is all that could find for a wiring diagram last night.

The pink wire i cut and used a barrel connector and spliced in with a new separate wire running directly to the HEI. I looked on the fuse panel, the only two plugs had wires to them (lower right corner), acc switched power, but dropped to 0volts during cranking.

There was a point at which I would turn the key and it wouldn't crank (dash lights off go out like its trying to start) 2-3 times but now its starts fine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68_toro_wiring.jpg (86.8 KB, 22 views)
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM

Figured it out...Thanks for the help
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:16 PM

I'm afraid of the dark. Please don't keep me there. What was it? A fuse?
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Same here, what was the problem.
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:54 PM

One of the purple wires on the ignition switch missed its home into the plug. Took the plug off and reinstalled the terminals.

It's what I get for rushing trying to get it done before it got dark and cold
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Administrator

How did that cause your idiot light and flasher issue? I can see it not starting.
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:38 PM

After going back out to the car this morning, I noticed that half of the fuse panel had only 1 volt, also the radio and power seat weren't working along with the turn signals.

That's one terminal not being plugged in....