Tail light / rear marker - 70 Supreme

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2018, 06:52 PM

Tail light / rear marker - 70 Supreme

All front, including side markers and turn signals work as they should. Rear turn signals and brake lights work as they should. Now, The rear tail lights and rear side marker lights do not work.

Do the tail tail lights and brake lights use the same ground wires? I read up on this some and convinced myself it was the head light switch. New switch - no change. I looked at the fuse box and I was not clearly able to decipher which fuse was for the tail lights. I looked at all fuses and they all appeared fine.

Any help appreciated! If some one knows what color the power source wire is for the running/tail lights that would great!

thanks...
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:04 PM

The taillights/side marker lights are powered by a brown wire, the turn signal is powered by a green wire on one side, yellow on the other (can’t remember which side is which!). The taillights and side markers are either grounded thru the bulb socket and housing, or a ground wire near the trunk latch. Clean the sockets, connect a jumper wire from the socket to a good ground, and inspect the black ground wire near the trunk latch. If both the side marker and twilight on one side are inop, but the turn signal is working, look at the brown wire on that side that isn’t working. I’m pretty sure there is a splice that splits power from the drivers to passenger side near the drivers twilight.
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Administrator

I believe the tail and marker light wires are brown. Check voltage starting at the rear and work your way forward to the headlight switch until you find your lost power. The fuse is good because the front lamps work. The grounds are good because the brake lights work.
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:38 PM

Thanks, wiring break was the direction I was leaning. I am just trying to figure out how this happenedo4 what caused it.
Old September 18th, 2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by grmchne78
All front, including side markers and turn signals work as they should. Rear turn signals and brake lights work as they should. Now, The rear tail lights and rear side marker lights do not work.

Do the tail tail lights and brake lights use the same ground wires? I read up on this some and convinced myself it was the head light switch. New switch - no change. I looked at the fuse box and I was not clearly able to decipher which fuse was for the tail lights. I looked at all fuses and they all appeared fine.

Any help appreciated! If some one knows what color the power source wire is for the running/tail lights that would great!

thanks...
Did you actually pull the fuse for the tailignts? Because unless you actually take the fuse out and look at it, you won't be able to tell if it's blown or not.
As far as the wiring, brown is the power source for the pass side, and yellow is the driver side.

One thing you could do is grab a couple generic 1157 bulb sockets, some 1157 bulbs, and some test leads from your local parts store and use those for troubleshooting. All you gotta do is put one of the bulbs into one of the generic sockets, then strip some of both wires on the socket. Then disconnect the connectors in the trunk (one side at a time) and run your test leads from the connecter to the generic socket with the bulb (careful not to short the leads). Once you get everything hooked up, turn on your lights and touch the socket to a ground (I used the latch where the trunk closes). If your bulb lights up, then you know the problem is somewhere between the connector and the socket in the car. If it doesn't light up, then it's farther up the line.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Dave

Last edited by 72455; September 18th, 2018 at 09:14 PM.