Pertronix

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Pertronix

What would cause a Pertronix Ignition to fail? The engine ran fine for about 40 minutes and had no spark the next day.
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by DENT
What would cause a Pertronix Ignition to fail? The engine ran fine for about 40 minutes and had no spark the next day.
Did you remember to remove the stock resistor wire when you installed the Pertronix?
Old April 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM
72 Olds CS

Ive had a dead pertronix right outta the box, another on lost a magnet and only fired on 3 cylyinders till we found th emagnet and glued it back in.

I wouold recheck the set-up first but there is a thing called "infant mortality" in electronics, something marginal gets out into the field and fails shortly after install...My experience is pertronix has been easy to work with
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDog
Did you remember to remove the stock resistor wire when you installed the Pertronix?
The stock resister wire? Please enlighten me.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:45 AM

I've had them fail on a customers car. Call to Pertronix had it diagnosed and a replacement sent right out. They are decent to work with.
They will run with a resistor wire but not as well as with a straight 12v. There is a noticeable difference like an HEI.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tripdeuces
i've had them fail on a customers car. Call to pertronix had it diagnosed and a replacement sent right out. They are decent to work with.
They will run with a resistor wire but not as well as with a straight 12v. There is a noticeable difference like an hei.
x2
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by DENT
The stock resister wire? Please enlighten me.
Pertronix is actually deficient in this area, because they more-or-less claim that you can use their product through the ballast resistor, but then when pressed, admit that you can't.

Their instructions make no mention of it:

The Pertonix Q&A do tell you what to check first, though, and tell you to bypass the ballast resistor:

To re-re-re-recap:
The ballast resistor is this thing that is hiding in your wiring harness, placed there by evil GM engineers to entrap hapless motorists who switch to electronic ignition 40 years down the road.

Perhaps if you read any of the many threads on this subject that can be found using the SEARCH function, you will understand.
Start here (and the successive posts),
then here,
then here,
then here.

Then, if you still have questions, ask away!

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pertronix Q&A.jpg (136.0 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg
Pertronix Instructions.jpg (150.5 KB, 102 views)
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:28 AM

Do any or all GM cars with non HEI points distributors have the ballast resistor? I have been using Ignitor and Ignitor II for years, and never even considered the resistor. I just made the gap adjustments and connected red to positive, black to negative on the coil. Haven't had a problem in 20+ years and tens of thousands of miles on numerous cars. I am not disputing the 12 volt issue, just trying to increase my knowledge and do it better in the future.
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by brown7373
Do any or all GM cars with non HEI points distributors have the ballast resistor?
Yes.

Originally Posted by brown7373
I have been using Ignitor and Ignitor II for years, and never even considered the resistor... Haven't had a problem in 20+ years and tens of thousands of miles on numerous cars.
It seems as though it works fine through the resistor in some cars, but causes problems in others. The reasons aren't clear.
It is possible, though, that it will run better, even in your car, on 12 volts than on 9. You could experiment by taking a trip where you drive on the resistor one way, then hotwire it from the battery the other way (or get really fancy and rig a temporary switch inside the car).

- Eric
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the help everyone.