No Power to the car

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2016, 11:47 AM

No Power to the car

Yesterday I cranked the car and it cranked fine, but it didn't start (vapor lock or whatever it's called, thanks ethanol gas). So I cranked it again but *click* nothing, the whole electrical system decided to cut out. No lights, no ignition, no anything.

I have an Avital 3300L alarm installed in my car with a kill switch. I should also note that the battery is still new; got it tested and it has 100% charge

I tried unplugging and plugging the battery back up and it took a few tries until the alarm started blaring at me but I flinched and unplugged it.

I kept trying and the alarm came on two more times (which I flinched again).

This happened when my old battery died. Installing the new battery took longer than it had to because of the alarm. It took a few tries, but what we had to do was jam the disarm button as soon as the alarm came on upon connecting the terminals so the alarm wouldn't kill the car.

I let it sit overnight and tried again this morning and the alarm wouldn't sound, no power still, but I hear the alarm making a lot of clicking sounds under the dash, the LED light indicates that the alarm is armed.

I just want my car to work. I've tried unhooking the alarm, no power. I suspect electrical failure, but if that were the case how would my alarm still work?

Someone help please?

Last edited by 77ricbaez; August 6th, 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Senior Moment Member

Not to be obvious but, take the alarm out of the car. Are you ever going to leave the car alone without you near it in an area where it might get stolen? I don't know if there's a high demand for 1977 Cutlass parts. Put a kill switch in it instead. Easy.
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Not to be obvious but, take the alarm out of the car. Are you ever going to leave the car alone without you near it in an area where it might get stolen? I don't know if there's a high demand for 1977 Cutlass parts. Put a kill switch in it instead. Easy.
I unhooked the brain and still it didn't have power.
Old August 6th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Are the connections to the battery shiny and tight?

- Eric
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:29 PM

Got it guys. There was a false contact somewhere down by the starter, a rusted out tube where the positive cable leads to. Somewhere by the fusible link. Wiggled the cable and the car came back to life. It's not a fix but if I get stuck on the road I know what to do now.
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you don't fix it properly, your battery will fail to charge at a random moment and leave you stranded that way.

It sounds like you need a new starter cable. (Or maybe a some serious starter terminal clean-up) Don't get one that's too thin.

- Eric