Lights get brighter and dimmer with gas pedal push

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Lights get brighter and dimmer with gas pedal push

I started her up this evening and thought, "I wonder what the headlights will do...?" Pulled the **** and stepped on the gas, let off, on gas, off, on gas, off, you get the idea. My lights were getting brighter and dimmer as I was on and off the gas. What would cause this? And please, don't tell me a short!!! I beg you!! Oh, and my amp light is very dimly lit, like the recent post from another fellow. I just replaced my battery recently due to bad cells, but before that, I had not had any battery problems/dead battery. I just want to make sure the thing will go when I need it to...but more importantly, get back to point A from driving to point B.
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM

It's not a short, Alternator is not charging at idle. Mine runs 12.4 at idle and 13.5-14.5 when driving.
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:44 PM

I would check the charging voltage at idle it might be too low and I would also be careful as it might climb too high if you keep revving it. With an old car it's not too much of an issue, but you could still burn out some bulbs ans possibly burn up the points.

My gut says its the voltage regualtor, but you'll have to check it to be sure.
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:59 AM

Your idle speed could be too slow..S/B about 600 in Drive...
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:34 AM

it appears you may have a voltage regulator and/or ground problems.
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by svnt442
I would check the charging voltage at idle it might be too low and I would also be careful as it might climb too high if you keep revving it. With an old car it's not too much of an issue, but you could still burn out some bulbs ans possibly burn up the points.

My gut says its the voltage regualtor, but you'll have to check it to be sure.
Well two things come to mind right away...I can go get the alternator checked at the local auto parts store, that should tell me if it is running like it should. The other, is my electric choke has never been hooked up. When I tried to hook it up the other day, it didn't do anything. So it could very well be an idle problem--too lean upon startup.

The voltage regulator, while not new new, only has a few hundred miles on it. I replaced that a few years ago. Not to say, however, that it can't be bad again. How does one check a VR?

Now back to the electric choke, I bought that carb from someone on this site who rebuilds them (and put an electric choke on it). Got a way good deal! Again, I had never hooked up the choke until a few days ago and got nothing. Ran a wire right over to the battery and got nothing...no movement out of the plate. There is no ground; I assume the ground is the whole unit grounded to the intake to the block? Is there another way to check a choke? How do I fix it? Where do I find another one? Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Gaz Hog; June 25th, 2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:13 AM

with an ohm meter see if there is continuity between the carb body and the hot wire connector.

the hot air choke systems require vacuum to pull the hot air thru the tube to the coil. the system required a gasket between the coil and choke housing for sealing. if that gasket is used with the electric coil the ground is lost.