Brake Pedal Push Rod Mounting Hole Question

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2014, 10:42 PM

Brake Pedal Push Rod Mounting Hole Question

I have changed from the stock 1965 Olds Cutlass Power Drum/Drum brake set up to one of the 64-72 front disc conversions. I didn't want to run a power brake booster so I went with a manual disc/drum Master Cylinder and proportioning valve (from Right Stuff Detailing). I am having a problem getting the brakes to apply fully. The pedal isn't soft or spongy, I just don't seem to making enough pressure. I have seen some posts on here that mention different mounting holes for the brake pedal push rod. I have the rod currently in the lower (closest to to floor) hole on the brake pedal "arm". I thought it looked as if I would get more pedal stoke if I used that hole. Is that the correct hole for the rod with manual brakes? What are some other things to look at when it feels like you have a good hard brake pedal, but the brakes won't "lock up" at all when you nail them like in a panic stop.
Old August 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcdynamic88
I have the rod currently in the lower (closest to to floor) hole on the brake pedal "arm".
Well, 50-50 chance of getting it wrong.

Manual brakes use the upper hole, since you want more leverage at the pedal. Power brakes use the lower hole since you don't need the leverage.
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM

Thanks Joe! On a 50/50 chance, I instinctively get it wrong 100% of the time I actually found one of your previous answers to this very question after I posted this thread. I should of used the "search" function. At any rate, I moved the rod to the upper hole (it had plenty of adjustment threads left to get the length just right). I enlisted my oldest son to do the "pump-em-up" bleeding routine while I ran around to each wheel. I now have manual brakes that will stop you so suddenly you had better be prepared for it! Thanks again for sharing the stuff you know on this forum.