Installing new battery cables

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:57 PM

Installing new battery cables

Ok so ive been haveing issues with my 1970 cutlass starting sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt I have come to the conclusion that it is my battery cables due to the fact that they are in not so good condition slightly corroded as well as fraying at the ends. I have bought the new cables and replaced the negative side that connects to the front of the engine my question is is it possible for me to change the positive side without removing the block becuase i know it goes to the starter and I can see the end of it but ive never tried to change that cable before i will post pictures in the morning if that would help i do have access to a lift but would rather not tow it to my shop lol
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:23 AM

Be sure and disconnect the negative cable (ground) before messing with the positive cable! Then after the positive is completely installed, hook up the negative again. With the car on jack stands you should be able to find the starter end of the positive cable. You may need a 9/16" wobble socket on an extension to reach the nut and disconnect it, there will probably be some brackets or connectors along the positive cable that also have to be undone to remove it. These along with any protective sleeve material should be replaced to keep the new cable from making contact with the exhaust, melting the insulation and causing a short.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've never been able to access the battery cable terminal on the starter of an Olds motor without dropping the starter first. Note that the Delco starter weighs about a thousand pounds - or, at least it seems that way when you're trying to hold it up with one hand and get the bolts started!
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Just the facts...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I've never been able to access the battery cable terminal on the starter of an Olds motor without dropping the starter first. Note that the Delco starter weighs about a thousand pounds - or, at least it seems that way when you're trying to hold it up with one hand and get the bolts started!
jack stand

bill
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Truer words have been spoken.
Old July 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM

well I sucked it up jerry-riged the battery and drove the car to where my lift is i will just lift it up and change the cables tommorow haha and yeah i know about the starter thats why i didnt want to take it off
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Stickman
Truer words have been spoken.
You mean truer words have never been spoken.
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You mean truer words have never been spoken.
I don't know, maybe Stick meant to say that...
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:48 AM

I don't know, maybe Stick meant to say that...
Hadn't though of that!
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM

no way to change the cable without removing the starter. the starter can be removed without removing the trans dust shield. be aware of any starter shims that are present.
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:55 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I was able to change the pos, cable without dropping the starter. My 13 year old son could fit his hand up there and put the cable on and start the nut. Sometime there are advantages to a father and son project.
Larry
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:10 AM

I guess that my 49 V8 is easier to work on than you late model guys. Jacked it up, put a a short extension and wobble socket on the nut, changed it in about 10 minutes without removing anything else..
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM

lol well today I changed the cables it was not fun at all had the car on the lift negative cable was an easy change the positive cable as you all said....I had to drop the starter luckily there were no shims : ) so I didnt have to deal with that that thing weighs a ton when ur trying to screw the gosh dang screws back in I had the starter in one hand and breaker bar in the other and went to town haha. all in all fun day next transmission fluid.... hmm im also wondering has anyone ever had the problem with thier horn going off when the wheel was turned to far ?
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by oldbill
I guess that my 49 V8 is easier to work on than you late model guys.
Yeah, that has a crank starter, doesn't it?
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by georgiaboy697
...hmm im also wondering has anyone ever had the problem with thier horn going off when the wheel was turned to far ?
It is probably something in the top of the steering wheel. The wire for the horn is routed up the steering column through the middle of the wheel to the switch mechanism where it completes a ground, activating the horn. If that wire is frayed or there is a loose nut or piece of hardware it can cause the horn to blow as you described. Don't try dis-mantling it without a service manual or at least a diagram. With the horn and the turn signal switch in the vicinity it can be a nightmare to re-assemble. The horn switch should be the first thing you see when removing the steering wheel cover though.