Ignition Switch for Stock 47 oldsmobile.

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Ignition Switch for Stock 47 oldsmobile.

Had an issue with the main power wire going from the ignition switch to the + side of coil. The wire had a break. Found that the wire is in a double contained flex wire conduit from the ignition switch to the coil. To make it work I did a hack job so i didn't have to hot wire each time I wanted to drive it. Question is; does the replacement ignition switch have the same type of wire conduit going to the coil?
Thanks 47 Coupe.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

I know my '46 was the same way, don't know if the repop part would be the same though. That thing is really armored isn't it? Since my car isn't a restoration and I have a different engine/drivetrain in it I have completely re-worked the wiring. My switch didn't work either so I had to hacksaw the armor covering in half to get it out of the firewall and to remove the old switch. Good luck in your search. Have you tried Fusick?
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:48 AM

Thank you again.

Thank you again for the information on the ignition switch. I did not think of Fusick. I did look at Kanter and Chevs of the 40's. I will take a look at Fusick. Yes that wire has more protection than Fort Knox. My hack job got it working, but looks like hack. Thank you again for the information. This is a Great place to go for experience.
Old May 9th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Past Administrator

If you aren't going to completely restore the car then you could get by with a generic ignition switch. The local Tractor Supply store sells switches with keys, I was thinking of going that route but my switch still worked so I stayed with it since it fits well in the dash bezel and looks nice. Using a switch like the one at Tractor Supply would require some fabrication work but could be done.