convertible motor troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM

convertible motor troubleshooting

'67 CS
I thought my top motor was kaput. Today, I had a couple of guys help me with trying to manually fold the top down, however, the top was too resistant to be folded without forcing. I just told the guys to stop, and I re-latched the top. What I did not notice was that I was pushing the top switch "up" when the guys were putting the top back in place.

I heard the top motor emit a sickly whir when I noticed the switch was stuck in the "up" position (it was sticky, I guess). I stopped, unlatched the top, and presto, the top folded back. I guess the long sit prior to my purchase had caused the motor to lock-up. When I attempted to raise the top, however, the similar sickly whir occurred, and the top would only lift up minimally, requiring me to press the top switch down to fully lower the top.

So - any suggestions?

I am at a loss
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Might this be related to battery amperage?
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:22 AM

If the motor keeps running with switch activated you may just be low on fluid.
If the motor runs ok going down and keeps whirring on the way up then the motor is probably ok but the switch is bad on the up mode
My top did the exact same thing , I redid my lines , switch, and fluid and it works fine. your lines are good though as long as they are not leaking.
also make sure that your top frame is not binding anywhere.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:53 PM

i just had a new switch installed, I thought - maybe the shop that did the work hosed it up somehow

I am guessing the low on fluid scenario: the top goes down ok, but when I start the top up, it moves up just slightly, but goes no farther.

I wonder why the fluid might be low - now that has me thinking
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:35 AM

I had the same problem. It was low on fluid. I bought a device from Year One (I think) that has a hose and reservoir to help prime and load fluid. No problems since.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM

STEAL THE WIFES TURKEY BASTER !!! Pull the motor from the grommets and you can tilt it a little and start squirting fluid in with the baster.
be carefull with the hoses though they are probably brittle. as for the low fluid , I believe that over decades it slowly comes out the pistons. I am sure you have greasy stuff at your cylinders , that would be fluid.
Dont overfill the motor.
you should see top movement improve with a few cycles as the air cycles out of the system. Also keep the fill plug in place when going up and down. I dont remember which direction it is but one direction will shoot the fluid all over the place out the rubber plug hole.Mine works great now and the motor is not as loud.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM

Yep - my shade-tree buddy put some fluid in and it works like a charm - smooth and fast, quiet, too

thanks for the tip - very happy not to have to spend that extra $ on the car
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:19 AM

The sticky switch might have been the problem, too. If it is sticking, then there is some gunk in it that could have been on the contacts. This happens often in smoker's cars.
If the problem resurfaces, then the switch may need an overhaul.