1985 Toronado - Power seat troubleshooting help needed

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM

1985 Toronado - Power seat troubleshooting help needed

Just purchased an '85 Olds Toronado Brougham Caliente. Passenger power seat works in 2 axes but not the 3rd (forward/back does not work). Can someone please direct me to a resource on the correct means of troubleshooting this issue? I can visually see the back/forth motor running both directions when the switch is depressed, leading me to believe the switch is alright. After I played with it awhile, all of it went dead, maybe I blew a fuse or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone tell me if the seat power system is the same on other GM cars (if I have to go to a junkyard for replacement parts)?

Thx.
Bill
billearls@charter.net
Old December 5th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

I think it would be a good bet that there are similarities. I have seen lots of GM 6-way power seats with the motors attached to the seat mechanism via transmission cables. If this is the way yours is I bet you could find another in the junkyard. It may be the clutch/transmission cable which is bad if the motor was running but I think they come as a single assembly. You very well might have blown a fuse, especially if the other motors no longer work, if they still do work the motor in question may have burned up with the exessive activity of you working it during troubleshooting. At any rate, look in the local junkyard, I bet you will find something from maybe a caddy or a buick.