buzzer/fasten seat belts light questions

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM

buzzer/fasten seat belts light questions

Hello,

I am rebuilding my engine (72' cutlass S), and thought I would work on the firewall a little bit. So I replaced the horn relay as it was looking grungy, and saw that it is supposed to have a buzzer as well, is this part of the relay? I never had a buzzer before, should it work now? I have not hooked the battery back up to check, this is just on when the doors are open correct? Does anyone have a diagram that I can look at to use if it does not work?

Secondly, Should my car have the fasten seat belts light that I read about elsewhere? The car is a 72, but I have had the seats out, and never saw any wiring for this, and there is no light on the dash anywhere. I have had the car for 10 years, and I would think I would have noticed it by now, but stranger things have happened... Did some cars get this and not others? I do not have the rallye gauges fyi. Does anyone have a picture, I would be interested to see it!

Thanks,
Joe
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Registered

The relay is on the fender on my '71 but I think it's the same deal. The buzzer is built into the relay and there should be a wire with a single female connector that plugs into the bottom of the relay. It buzzes if you leave the key in the ignition and open the door. There's a switch the key depresses inside the column to activate it.
I don't know about the seat belt deal?
My 71 doesn't have it and it's the newest old car I've ever owned.
Old March 31st, 2010, 05:26 AM

Open the covers to the front seatbelt retractors and look for one wire in each (or at least a terminal).
They should be there unless someone ripped out the wiring when replacing carpet or something. The light should be on the fuel gauge unit and it's buzzer will be under the dash, connected through the reverse - neutral switch.

The key buzzer is the one in the horn relay - the small isolated pink wire is for the buzzer.

Here is a good thread with wiring picture:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post136074
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:33 AM

When I had the interior apart i had the retractors apart to paint the covers and they did not have a wire. Does anyone have a pic of the gauge? I will have to check the build sheet i have but I believe it is 10/71 so is there a chance I do not have them? I don't remember there being a wire in the harness when I did the carpet either...