Can't turn distributor

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Green Horn

Can't turn distributor

My car is off timing, and I'm trying to turn the distributor but cannot get it to budge. I've even put some PB blaster on it and still nothing. I can get it to wobble but it will not turn either direction.

Any advice

It's on a 1965 jetstar 88, 260 motor.

Old June 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Had that problem on an 83 Hurst. Lots of soaking and tapping and pipe wrench or the like on the shaft and tapping on the wrench. Took about an hour but got it loose.
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mauls
Any advice

It's on a 1965 jetstar 88, 260 motor.
Advice? Yeah. This is a sign from on high that it's time to lose the 260.
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Had that problem on an 83 Hurst. Lots of soaking and tapping and pipe wrench or the like on the shaft and tapping on the wrench. Took about an hour but got it loose.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep wrenchin on it

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Advice? Yeah. This is a sign from on high that it's time to lose the 260.
If i could take it out now I would trust me! I'm currently building a 425, stated a thread in the big block section.

I'd just like to cruise around (downhill) in the mean time
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Oldsdruid

You have plenty of room under there. I think those 260 distributors had the square shank like earlier ones did. Get a big-*** open end wrench that fits it, juice it up with the penetrant, and then wale away on the wrench with a suitable hammer. It should break loose.

If not enough room to wale, go to Harbor Freight or somewhere and get a crowsfoot wrench in the size you need, then use an appropriately sized extension and breaker bar. The suitable BFH may help here too.

See, Oldsmobile was looking out for us down the road by putting that square shank area on the distributor.
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Green Horn

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You have plenty of room under there. I think those 260 distributors had the square shank like earlier ones did. Get a big-*** open end wrench that fits it, juice it up with the penetrant, and then wale away on the wrench with a suitable hammer. It should break loose.

If not enough room to wale, go to Harbor Freight or somewhere and get a crowsfoot wrench in the size you need, then use an appropriately sized extension and breaker bar. The suitable BFH may help here too.

See, Oldsmobile was looking out for us down the road by putting that square shank area on the distributor.

Yes it has the square shank, Still can't get a good grab on it, I can't get a low enough angle cause the carb is in the way, i may have to remove the carb.