Turn signal and brakes turn on 4-way flashers

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2015, 05:42 PM

Turn signal and brakes turn on 4-way flashers

I did a rather large re-wiring project over the winter, consisting of improving how my accessories were wired, and also charge, starter, and ground cable upgrades.

Only thing I did near the headlight switch was moving the low/high selector to a toggle on the dash, and swap my AutoMeter tach to the center pod, and put the speedo on the right side pod.

My problems are: When I turn on either left or right turn signal, the 4 way hazards come on. When I hit the brake pedal, the brakes and front bumper running lights come on (bot not the side markers).

Running lights, low beams, high beams... all work as they should on their own.

I'll get up there and dig around, but thought this might be a common issue or somebody else tackled a similar problem before?
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

The brake, turn signal, and hazard flasher circuits all come together in the turn signal switch. The headlight switch has nothing to do with it. The first thing to check is have you inadvertently pushed in on the hazard flasher button? That can cause this problem. If not, then check the wiring to the column, the wires in the column, or the turn signal switch itself. Those are the only possible causes.
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:22 AM

Joe - thank you for the clear and obvious solution. The hazard switch was indeed pushed in.

I woke up to news of a death in the family last night, took the day off to clear my head, and thought I'd tackle this problem while keeping near the phone for family needs. You just saved me from crawling under the dash and poking around with a test light, no easy task at 6'5" and seats installed.

My apology for the personal tangent, but I want you to know you helped my morning be a bit less stressful.

Kind regards
Nick
Old May 27th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Rodney

Nick:
I love it when a seemingly complex problem turns out to be a simple fix. Sorry for your loss.
Rodney