Battery Side or Post

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Battery Side or Post

My 442 was built 8-70. Should the battery be a top post or side terminal. Have heard this was a transition period. So what do you guys say?
AL
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Top post. Check the pic on page 12-172 on this link from the 70 Assembly Manual
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._Sec_35W74.pdf
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Definetly top post until the 72 model year. Also in 72 they moved the power take off/ horn relay/ buzzer to the firewall from the drivers fender. Interesting about your 442 being built in Aug /70. Mine was actually built on 31/08/70 according to the small build card I found under the carpet and the firewall tag saying 08D. My serial number ends in 3948, a Lansing built car. What week was your built? Plant?
Old February 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Allan R
Top post. Check the pic on page 12-172 on this link from the 70 Assembly Manual
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe..._Sec_35W74.pdf
Thank you sir!
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Definetly top post until the 72 model year. Also in 72 they moved the power take off/ horn relay/ buzzer to the firewall from the drivers fender. Interesting about your 442 being built in Aug /70. Mine was actually built on 31/08/70 according to the small build card I found under the carpet and the firewall tag saying 08D. My serial number ends in 3948, a Lansing built car. What week was your built? Plant?
Brian- Built 3rd week at Arlington, TX. My serial numbers end in 1986. There seems to be quite a few Olds in Canada. Were there at lot shipped up there?
AL
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Definetly top post until the 72 model year. Also in 72 they moved the power take off/ horn relay/ buzzer to the firewall from the drivers fender.
You know for all the amount of discussion I've heard about the side posts in the 72s I've yet to see one with them. Maybe that was more for the B,C cars?

X2 on the horn relay reposition. Always thought it was kind of wierd to have it bolted to the fender.

Originally Posted by shimmer
There seems to be quite a few Olds in Canada. Were there at lot shipped up there?AL
Huh? We aren't that small a country in spite of what folks may think. In 72 our population was 21,993,630. As of Jan 1, 2011 we were approx 34,278,400. Where are all those people coming from??? That's a lot of cars to build and mouths to feed. If I was a betting guy, I'd guess we imported over 300,000 Oldsmobiles in 72. Could be more, could be less. I've got one of them

Anyway, we not only imported Oldsmobiles from the US, we also produced them in Oshawa and exported them to the US. Also don't forget that Lansing, Freemont, Linden are really close to border import locations between our 2 countries.

However, based on sheer population volume it's totally fair to say and expect there's waaay more stock of Oldsmobile in the US than has survived up here or anywhere else.
Old February 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM

Al and Allan R.: The only thing that comes to mind, as I have heard this comment before from our American friends is that maybe per capita alot of Oldses were sold in Canada; probably as the Olds dealers were always or mostly tied into Chev dealers, so alot of people were exposed to Oldsmobile and they were a prestige car in back in the 60's and 70's. But as far as lasting, for the most part alot of Canada's climate is brutal on cars, due to the amount of road salt used in the winters. Where I live in Nova Scotia, we are the rust belt of North America, as we are on the coast and therefore have salt air, fog, and temperatures in the winter right around the freezing point so salt works great. So most of our old cars are brought up from the States, as was done with my Arlington built 71 SX.
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

for the most part alot of Canada's climate is brutal on cars, due to the amount of road salt used in the winters.
Unfortuately true for most of the Great White North. I thought the DOH was cutting down on salt? The only places that seem to be 'exempt' are the lower BC mainland, and southern AB/SK. However, I should point out that our southern neighbors have also got some God awful snow and cold zones too. Just that I think we have more.....

Where I live in Nova Scotia, we are the rust belt of North America, as we are on the coast and therefore have salt air, fog, and temperatures in the winter right around the freezing point so salt works great
The wierd part is that Vancouver also has super wet climes. But I guess the difference is it rains a lot and salt air is dissipated by the moisture? Also they're building a lot better corrosion into cars nowadays. There are a fair bit of old cars in hiding throughout BC. One of the reasons I'm moving to Lower BC is for the warmer winter climate. Their worst winter day beats our best winter day hands down. I can stand not having to shovel snow, and enjoying mid 40° temps during the 'cold' spells. I think on the East coast you have the worst end of the stick with the Nor Easter winds and storms. But in the summer you guys have one of the most gorgeous coastlines and landscapes a moose could ever hope to live in.