Battery losing charge

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2024, 10:01 AM

Hello Olds group, So, The last few days I have Charged the battery up to 12.8 volts. Also had it checked at the local parts store in town and they told me it was good. Bought a new regulator and installed. I also took a day and went over wiring as suggested. All is clean and tight. I do not get a good feeling about the type of + battery terminal that is installed but It was the best I could find at the time. Suggestions on where to buy a good terminal wood be helpful. Still getting 12.7 at the battery when running. Also when idle is raised. Same for the post coming off the Alt. As an extra bonus the Alt light is now lit. All this being said I am prepping a new Alt to install. Comments or do this first suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Old June 18th, 2024, 10:21 AM

Try running a ground jumper from the batt to the regulator at the attaching bolts.

If the alternator is unplugged and the light goes out it is a leaky diode in the alternator, probably connected to the "jumpy 13.5V" in post 27.

Also consider bypassing the new VR to test. The new one may be defective.

I don't know about the clamp source, just had a new cheapie break yesterday, it was a week old

Old June 18th, 2024, 10:49 AM

Ok easy enough to do thanks, Kinda like doing this stuff once there is an understanding of how it works. I'm a bit of a learn by doing personality. Ill give it a try when I get home.