antenna problem

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM

antenna problem

72 supreme, bought it with aftermarket antenna attached that is wobbling all over the place. want to take it off and replace it, cannot figure out how to take thing off. I removed the retaining nut from outside thinking it would just come out and I could unplug it, well of course that is not the case. It looks I have to take the whole fender off to remove this thing, I am sure that is not true but I cant figure it out. I am thinking about taking off the kick panel to see if maybe it makes it easier which brings up another quick question. there are two screws on the pillar molding I actually took those off but the molding didnt come off does that have to be pried, does it go back on easily?
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Past Administrator

Most antenna are mounted from underneath. Removing the top nut should allow the antenna to drop down into the fender. I believe recalling that you can see the antenna with the passenger door open but getting your hand in there to remove it is another story. Removing or at least loosening the inner fender/wheel well might help, can't remember. If the antenna doesn't drop down after removing the top nut assembly it is possible the "fingers" designed to hold onto the bottom of the fender have actually gripped into the metal on the underside and with age corrosion has made the situation worse, kind of a glue. It is hard to say with aftermakets, they are similar but all a little different.
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM

thanks
Old May 17th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Alot of the aftermarket antennas use a swivel type retainer on the bottom that when you install it, you hold it verticle and as you drop it in, it goes horizontal or flat to lock under the metal. Then you install the retaining nut. Use a screwdriver and stick into the hole, holding the retainer verticle while pulling it out.