93 Cutlass Cruiser Speedometer & Electrical Issue

Old April 28th, 2017, 09:34 PM
1993 Cutlass Cruiser

93 Cutlass Cruiser Speedometer & Electrical Issue

Hello everyone, just made this account to ask a quick question.

I currently have a 1993 Cutlass Cruiser, everything has been generally fine with the car since I bought it about a year and a half ago off of my grandfather. He never had a problem with it, ever. Then I buy it off him and I get all the problems, lol.

I currently passed 98k miles.

I had the entire power steering system replaced, and two weeks ago had the radiator replaced for a giant leak.

On the highway yesterday the speedometer started to freak out, and by that I mean bouncing erratically. In dead stop traffic it was bouncing between 20-30 mph. Once I was doing around 15-20 mph, the speedometer hit 100, the engine stalled, and every light on the dashboard turned on. (Check Engine, Oil, etc). I pulled over to the shoulder, turned the key in the off position, and turned it back on and it was fine the entire ride home from work.

Today on the way to work, it started doing the same thing. Instead of waiting for it to hit 100 and stall again, I pulled over on the shoulder and turned it off, expecting it to start again with no problem. Boy, was I wrong. I turned it off and went to start it again hoping I'd atleast be able to make it work and it wouldn't even crank. The battery was completely shot. No power what so ever, the only reason I know that is the lock button wouldn't even work.

The only reason I'm asking for help here is because I recently moved to a new town where I know absolutely no one and do not want the mechanic to rip me off, charge me a ridiculous price for what may be just a small issue, and it happens again.

As you can probably tell, I'm not too mechanically or electrically inclined with vehicles.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!