Electrical issue in 68 442

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM

Angry Electrical issue in 68 442

Could use some thoughts here...

Recently while tuning the car the timing light lead accidently layed against the hot exhaust manifold causing a loud "pop" and the car backfired through carb and shut off. However, it re-started and everything seemed fine. We drove it, gauges seemed fine as well as lights, etc. I thought I had dodged a big one.

Well, the car was driven again a week later and I thought I noticed the gas gauge was slow to respond, but it eventually did and accurately.

Today, it started fine, I was going down my driveway and it died. No clicking with the starter. I started checking things and noted my headlights no longer went on, but parking did?? the dome light works, but goes off if you put on the lights. I know 68 does not have a fuseable link. Did not see any fuses shot. I'm wondering if voltage regulator or the main wiring harness may be the culprits. I realize it could be many places but thought I'd get some input as to where you would start. I don't have a light meter, but do have a test light.

Thanks!
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Loose Radical

Two quick checks that don't require special tools:
pull a plug out and see it there is spark to the plug when you crank it
if a '68 has a yellow and purple pair of wires from the starter you can separate it and short the purple to the horn relay post (where the positive battery connection is) and see if the starter engages
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM

When my voltage regulator went, my battery got unbelievably hot and almost exploded. Not sure if your battery is getting warmer than usual, but might want to check.
Old August 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM

68 does have a fusible link at least mine does.
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks guys. I'm beginning to think it may be in the Forward light harness as my Shop Manual shows that harness as supporting the headlights as well as " regulator functions".

Man, I was all set to hit Alliance this weekend until this...

I don't see any Fuseable link on mine. If you have a photo of where yours is maybe I'm just missing it???
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by 4speedBench
Thanks guys. I'm beginning to think it may be in the Forward light harness as my Shop Manual shows that harness as supporting the headlights as well as " regulator functions".

Man, I was all set to hit Alliance this weekend until this...

I don't see any Fuseable link on mine. If you have a photo of where yours is maybe I'm just missing it???

Pictures of the fusible link located at the door buzzer relay on driver side inner fender well. Also see picture of the ground wire for the core support these can burn and fray and will cause the headlights to not operate. This would not cause a no start condition though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ENGINE BAY 008.jpg (73.2 KB, 17 views)
ENGINE BAY 009.jpg (66.5 KB, 17 views)
ENGINE BAY 010.jpg (46.1 KB, 15 views)