Crazy electrical problem...rear headlamp/turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM

Crazy electrical problem...rear headlamp/turn signal issue

All,
When I turn my headlamps on, they are on the bright filament in my taillight bulbs. When I turn on either turn signal or hit the brakes, the dim filament comes on. This is for a 71 Cutlass S and it happens on all the sockets except one of the originals.

I have a 70 Olds 98 also, and when I checked that car it was the exact opposite. The turn signal/brake lights light the bright filament, and the headlamp turns on the dim filament. Which makes sense, because if you have your headlamps on and hit the brakes, you want the brake light to come on which leads me to believe that my Cutlass somehow got the turn/brake signal socket wires switched.

I checked all the sockets on my Cutty. 2 are original and two have been replaced. But the funny part is the ones displaying the above behavior are one of the replacement sockets and 2 of the originals. Now I can understand someone wiring the replacement lamps wrong...but to have the originals burn the incorrect filament as well as the replacements is downright mind boggling to me. Only thing I can think of is something happened in that socket to cause the wrong filament to burn but I am not sure.

At any rate if I switch the wires on ALL the sockets (The originals as well as the replacements) I'm pretty sure the issue will clear itself up. As a matter of fact I already switched the wires on 3 of the sockets, only got one more to go and the 3 I changed already are fine.

Ill be back in 15 mins that should be long enough to change the wires onthis last one.

Frustrated in BaileysCrossroads
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:48 PM

ok,
Looks like upon close inspection, all the sockets had been replaced before. Once Igot the wires straight, they all work fine now.

But now Ihave another problem. When I was pulling the car out I ran over a can of black spray paint. I tried cleaning it off immediately but no such luck. Looks like I'll be painting the right front fender, hood, and right door shortly. MAN...when it rains it pours. I have everything but a compressor. I guess I'll be wet sanding tomorrow. I cant BELIEVE this. When it seems like Im one step closer...I always take 2 backwards
Old August 21st, 2010, 05:12 PM

clay bar quick, and if that doesn't work you can use a good polish to get it off.
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM

Actually I already wet anded her some. I'll be back at her tomorrow or the next weekend. Just foundout I have to do some work on my girlfriend's house tomorrow. GREAAAAAAAT lol. At least I already resined myself to the fact I'll have to paint the hood, right fender and right door. Maybe I'll go out there and sand her during the week, then just rent me a compressor or buy one next weekend