67 442 no instrument lights or gauges not working help!

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:03 AM

67 442 no instrument lights or gauges not working help!

I have a 67 Olds 442 and the instruments lights nor the gauges(factory Rally pac) are working. Checked all the fuses and all are good and have power going to them all except the fuse AGA 3 amp panel light. I have no power to that fuse. I removed the fuse box and there is a green and gray wire coming from this fuse. Does anyone know where these lead to or why I am not getting power to that fuse. I did take some emery cloth to the fuse holder as it had hints of slight rust but that didn't help. The car is equipped with the factory rally pac. however tach, oil, amp , temp don't work nor does the gauge lights. The tac fuse is good. Any help greatly appreciated.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:19 PM
Administrator

The voltage for that fuse comes from the head light switch (when it is in the parking or headlight position) through green wire to the fuse and then out through the gray wires to the lights. Are your tail lights working?
Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:36 PM

Eric,
I turn headlights on to pass voltage to the fuse and still no power at that fuse with the headlights on and working( I have headlights but no tail lights). Additionally would this cause the gauges/instruments not to work and still no instrument lighting. What my next step as I have little (basic) electrical background so any further steps would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Double check your taillight fuse power on both sides of the fuse, possibly clean those contacts. Are you sure your getting voltage to all your fuses? The gauges are fed off the 9A instrument fuse.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:07 PM

Chris.
Getting power to all fuses other than the 3 amp. I do now have gauges working as the fuse was not seated well so that resolved. I do have power at both ends of the 20 amp tail light fuse. I still have headlights but no tail lights or instrument cluster light. Could the headlight switch still light the headlight but a different portion of the switch not supplying power to the 3amp fuse thus no instrument lights or tail lights?
Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Yes the tail lights are a separate part of the headlight switch. Time to go to the switch and check it and the connector. This is for a 66 but should be the same as a 67 switch wiring. Check the input to the switch for both the taillight and instrument lights at the connector and then the output to both. Also a strange time to ask, is the **** turned all the way to the left for the instrument light dimmer?

Old November 22nd, 2017, 03:55 PM

Eric,
Thanks will do and yes the switch is turned all the to right for maximum brightness but nothing. I will check reading at the switch both input and output.
Thanks,
Gary
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:14 PM
Administrator

All the way to the right is off.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:37 AM

Eric,
Thanks however if its all to the right or left no instrument lights. On Friday I will check the readings at the headlight switch. I appreciate your help and have a great TURKEY day!

Gary