1972 Cutlii under hood wiring challanges :)

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2022 | 03:53 AM

1972 Cutlii under hood wiring challanges :)

Evening all,

Continuing to be be in electric hell .... looking at the wireing under the hood .. nothing was connected ... I am hoping to use what I got. Car was supposed to have had a 12SI alternator and GM HEI and ran

Front light harness questions: few wires not sure where they go .. any help appreciated !!
1) There is a short dark brown wire 6-8 inches long with plug on end for a spade terminal? What does this go to? Maybe an underhood light?
2) There is a long dark brown wire (been cut) not sure what the end looked like. Any ideas what this goes to?
3) There is a long black wire, plug on end looks like it would attach to a spade terminal. Any ideas what this goes to?

Engine harness: few wires I think I know where they go .. if someone would confirm would be appreciated !!
1) Dark green w/ 2 white stripes... I think went to TCS ... now cut .. prob dont need
2) Dark brown wire - I think this went to voltage reg. which was not on car, ran the gen light or volt guage for rally pac. I will be putting a 12SI on car, so I think this will now go to the #1 on the 12SI alt.
3) Resistance wire -- I will replace this with a 10 guage wire to power the dist/coil

12 SI Alternator upgrade
1) #2 terminal of the 12SI alt. will get wired to the horn relay
2) Big red wire will go to horn relay

Voltage Regulator - missing
1) Service manual show a red wire, blue wire and white wire. All wires gone.

I know alot above ,, again any help appreciated

Jim

Old January 25th, 2022 | 05:03 AM
Running On Empty

EDIT: See "GREEN" edit.

It appears you have the 1972 CSM which contains the color wiring diagram since you reference the "Service Manual". I would review each wire in the CSM wiring diagram as being definitive and find that wire in the engine bay, take tape, and mark each wire. Most if not all of your questions are pretty well outlined in the wiring diagram. Patience in reviewing the wiring diagram and methodical labeling you should arrive at the purpose of each wire, IMO.

Originally Posted by Bad68442
Evening all,

Continuing to be be in electric hell .... looking at the wireing under the hood .. nothing was connected ... I am hoping to use what I got. Car was supposed to have had a 12SI alternator and GM HEI and ran

Front light harness questions: few wires not sure where they go .. any help appreciated !!
1) There is a short dark brown wire 6-8 inches long with plug on end for a spade terminal? What does this go to? Maybe an underhood light? Most likely, generally located near LH-side near under hood spring near under hood lamp location)
2) There is a long dark brown wire (been cut) not sure what the end looked like. Any ideas what this goes to? Most likely wire from previous ALT>VR. See wiring diagram. If you have internal VR, should no longer be needed.
3) There is a long black wire, plug on end looks like it would attach to a spade terminal. Any ideas what this goes to?

Engine harness: few wires I think I know where they go .. if someone would confirm would be appreciated !!
1) Dark green w/ 2 white stripes... I think went to TCS ... now cut .. prob dont need Doubtful. I believe a solid Dk. Grn wire goes to TCS. Clearly called out in the wiring diagram from the neutral start and backup light switch (see the flasher splice & fuse box)
2) Dark brown wire - I think this went to voltage reg. which was not on car, ran the gen light or volt guage for rally pac. I will be putting a 12SI on car, so I think this will now go to the #1 on the 12SI alt.
3) Resistance wire -- I will replace this with a 10 guage wire to power the dist/coil

12 SI Alternator upgrade
1) #2 terminal of the 12SI alt. will get wired to the horn relay
2) Big red wire will go to horn relay

Voltage Regulator - missing
1) Service manual show a red wire, blue wire and white wire. All wires gone. "If you have an alternator with an internal VR you have no need for the external VR. I can't recall if the 12 SI ALT upgrade has internal VR - others will chime in. I believe the wiring diagram also calls out the ALT>VR wire. Which isn't required if you have internal VR ALT - see wiring diagram.

I know alot above ,, again any help appreciated

Jim

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 25th, 2022 at 05:11 AM.
Old January 25th, 2022 | 06:24 PM

First and most important .. thanks for the response!!

Still trying to figure the 72 diagrams out .. they do not seem as straight forward as my 68 wiring diagram was

Anyhow ... I hope i am reading this thing right ... my CSM shows the brown for the Gen Warning (I am assuming light) comming thru the engine & generator dash connection. The only browns on the forward lamp dash connector I see are for the marker/turn/under hood lamps.

The car has an intresting history ... in 1972 Hurricane Agnus flooded my area .. this car was actually under 20 feet of water. Knowing that I just pulled apart the dash harness as well .. rusted pretty bad That opens up a whole can of worms for sure ... I have a few harneses from "cars that I have bought and sold" over the years .. but I am betting they are different years. I see te same cloor wires ... just in different locations

No one said this would be easy .. just do not want to start any fires !!!
Old January 25th, 2022 | 09:04 PM
Oldsdruid

You might be better off getting a reproduction wiring harness. I wouldn't trust any component, electrical or otherwise, on a flood car.
Old January 26th, 2022 | 05:44 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Bad68442
...this car was actually under 20 feet of water. Knowing that I just pulled apart the dash harness as well .. rusted pretty bad That opens up a whole can of worms for sure ... I have a few harneses from "cars that I have bought and sold" over the years .. but I am betting they are different years. I see te same cloor wires ... just in different locations
Knowing car was under 20' of water and flooded, I'd go with a new wire harness.
Old January 26th, 2022 | 05:55 PM

Hi all,

So I spent the night drinking coffee to stay awake .. and beer to keep calm ... comparing harness(s) and looking at the CSM. I found on that appears to be a good match.

Fuses boxes physcially are the same, my origional has one additional 20 amp fuse

Following the wires from the fusebox into the car ... colors and connectors seem to match (guage connectors, heater, wiper, mid body,) .... only two differences (1) Origional harness Orange constant power wire looks to be thicker, someone in earlier post said maybe this was because it was a "clock" car and the doner was not (2) Origional harness has Green/White Stripe wire / black wire that looks to be for the buzzer.

When I seperate the fuse block . looking at both sides ... while the wires are in different locations ... there appears to be the same count & color

SO .. my assumption is that allI have to do is re-arrange the wires on the engine side of the fuse block to match the forward light harness and engine harness

Would love it if someone smarter than me (I am sure there are many) would tell me I am not crazy .. and my plan would work