Slim Jim cooling line info please

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2014, 05:40 AM

Slim Jim cooling line info please

Changing the radiator on my 63 Super 88 Holiday and want to verify the in and out cooling lines on the trans and radiator.

Last edited by bapa1944; January 1st, 2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:46 AM

Not sure about in and out, have you removed the lines? If not just hook up the same way they were to the old radiator. The 63 hard lines stop near the frame and rubber hoses are used to connect to the rad. You do need to transfer the two brass hose fittings from the old rad to the new, be sure they point the same direction after installation. Good time to replace the rubber hoses, use high quality hose used for oil coolers or power steering lines.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:42 AM

I cant seem to find an answer in my service manual. If my memory serves me correctly, the supply is on the driver side on the original radiator. I think I determined this by disconnecting it and staring the engine briefly. I did this with both lines into separate containers, and one of them / drivers side discharged fluid, where the passenger side didn't. Or very little if any. I assume you ask this question because your new radiator is directional on flow and has an in out specific connection.
I may need to re-core or change my radiator out in the future. What company did you go with. I have a 1963 Dymamic 88 Holiday. Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by fbonanno
I cant seem to find an answer in my service manual. If my memory serves me correctly, the supply is on the driver side on the original radiator. I think I determined this by disconnecting it and staring the engine briefly. I did this with both lines into separate containers, and one of them / drivers side discharged fluid, where the passenger side didn't. Or very little if any. I assume you ask this question because your new radiator is directional on flow and has an in out specific connection.
I may need to re-core or change my radiator out in the future. What company did you go with. I have a 1963 Dymamic 88 Holiday. Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:31 AM

I have it figured out now and seems to be ok I was more concerned with the in and out on the tranny. info a friend gave me was wrong.I re-cored my orig radiator about 6 years ago and it was fine back in New Hampshire but when we moved to Florida 3 years ago heating became an issue during the summer months so I changed to a Champion model cc2284 alum and it fits perfectly and has 3 rows compared to 2 rows in the orig very good price nice construction.
Thanks for your help
Ken Garland
Old January 2nd, 2014, 04:56 PM

Glad you got it figured out. Yes, Florida is allot different than New Hampshire. I moved to New Mexico from Connecticut 22 years ago. It gets very hot here too in the summer, but the humidity levels are real low. So far my radiator is holding up OK, and I don't get over 190/195 on temperature in the summer. But, I'd rather replace the radiator before it goes bad and possibly contaminate the transmission. My transmission really shifts nice despite negative comments about the slim jim/roto 10. Thanks for the Champion part number. I may go that route instead of a re-core.
Frank B
Old January 2nd, 2014, 05:40 PM

Frank
On a hot summer day here in florida if I go on the highway my temp stays at 210 we have a lot of humidity here but you get use to it.We don't have any classic car events in the months of July and August.I just talked to my kids in N.H. heavy snow and below zero temps I don't miss it at all. good thought on the radiator change we must be the few lucky ones who have a slim jim not to complain about.
Ken G
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bapa1944
Frank
On a hot summer day here in florida if I go on the highway my temp stays at 210 we have a lot of humidity here but you get use to it.We don't have any classic car events in the months of July and August.I just talked to my kids in N.H. heavy snow and below zero temps I don't miss it at all. good thought on the radiator change we must be the few lucky ones who have a slim jim not to complain about.
Ken G