Looking for Exhaust for '67 Delta!

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013 | 06:39 PM
Registered Luser

Exclamation Looking for Exhaust for '67 Delta!

Car has dual exhaust. Needs over-axle pipes, resonators and tailpipes. Anyone have ideas where I can find these pre-bent and ready to install? I'm looking to avoid custom bent stuff.....thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2013 | 06:55 PM

I got mine for my 66 starfire from classic exhaust. I assume you are using factory manifolds...
Old May 3rd, 2013 | 07:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You'll never find that stuff for a fullsize.

Never.

And if you do, tell me where, and then pull a feather out of a pillow and knock me over with it.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2013 | 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
You'll never find that stuff for a fullsize.

Never.

And if you do, tell me where, and then pull a feather out of a pillow and knock me over with it.

- Eric
True thats why he needs to go repro.... although years ago on ebay I found some nos resonators with correct tailpipe stub attached for my 66 Delta duals. The resonators were box design and not round like the repops.
Old May 4th, 2013 | 05:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, finding these would be one of those needle-in-a-haystack, just-won-the-lottery events where you happen to find the one warehouse that forgot to inventory the stuff in the back corner, and so didn't throw them out 30 years ago.
Which is to say, Don't count on it.

Revolting as it may be to you, go find a good exhaust place and have the pipes bent up right. How often do you crawl under the car anyway?

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2013 | 06:00 AM

Since I am a do-it-yourself guy I went repro mailorder. I did the same for the 442. The shops around here will make the pipes if you have a sample otherwise if they bend em they install em...
Old May 6th, 2013 | 08:35 AM
Registered Luser

You guys are great! Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned with originality. Maniac, were you happy with the stuff from Classic? Scott says he can sell me exactly what I need. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.....this car had duals when I bought it. The guy I bought it from says they are factory, but I can't confirm that!
Old May 6th, 2013 | 08:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If there's a place that makes full size exhausts, then jump at it - I had no idea anyone repro'd this stuff.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2013 | 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
You guys are great! Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned with originality. Maniac, were you happy with the stuff from Classic? Scott says he can sell me exactly what I need. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.....this car had duals when I bought it. The guy I bought it from says they are factory, but I can't confirm that!
A factory dual exhaust 67 88 would have come only with the Starfire optioned 425. The left manifold is special so adapting duals to anything but this manifold would be difficult and unsightly. Recently this manifold has been reproduced. Only the Starfire engined optioned full size Oldsmobiles had factory duals in 67. Note if you dont use resonators the exhaust will be somewhat noisy and throaty with stock mufflers. Yes I am happy with classic exhaust but my last order they ended up cutting the long header pipes to save on shipping I would guess.... I would have preferred they left them intact.
Old May 6th, 2013 | 11:11 AM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
A factory dual exhaust 67 88 would have come only with the Starfire optioned 425. The left manifold is special so adapting duals to anything but this manifold would be difficult and unsightly. Recently this manifold has been reproduced. Only the Starfire engined optioned full size Oldsmobiles had factory duals in 67. Note if you dont use resonators the exhaust will be somewhat noisy and throaty with stock mufflers. Yes I am happy with classic exhaust but my last order they ended up cutting the long header pipes to save on shipping I would guess.... I would have preferred they left them intact.
Thanks! I just ordered it. I will check on the manifold and update here......I am curious......
Old May 6th, 2013 | 11:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks for this info, Joe.

I've been checking into local places that can bend a system up, but that's always a crapshoot, and I'd much rather do the work myself, since I don't trust anyone.

A national place that has all the specs for the right bends just seems better than a guy ive bever met, in a run down garage with a tubing bender over an hour away from me, even if that guy does have a good rep on the interwebs.

- Eric
Old May 6th, 2013 | 06:38 PM
Registered Luser

I originally was going to have it bent by the guy who did three other cars for me. We looked at it on the lift, and he said the over axle pipes were pretty tough bends, and it wouldn't be cheap. He suggested it would be cheaper to see if I could find them and if I needed, he would install them....
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 03:59 PM
Registered Luser

Joe and Eric, the exhaust from classic was a perfect bolt in......very nice quality. The right side manifold had a cap where the crossover would be. If the car was dual from the factory, would it be that way or was there a specific manifold for dual exhaust?
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 04:02 PM

There was only a specific manifold on the left side. For duals the rt side had a cap on it. Can you get a picture of the left side manifold? It should have an S on it and big swoop to go up and over steering box. This is a factory S manifold that is now being reproduced.
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 05:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Funny - after this discussion, I went through my receipts and found that I bought an exhaust system for my Chevelle from Classic Exhaust in 2003.

It fit great and has lasted well.

- Eric
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 06:20 PM

The S manifold
Attached Images
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 06:56 PM
Registered Luser

Yeah Joe, I will get a pic!
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 06:58 PM

http://www.kanter.com///productdetai...Cat=34&Prc=170

Kanter has the whole thing

http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index...Path=61_49_350

Also Waldrons

Last edited by TripDeuces; May 23rd, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2013 | 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I am not fond of Kanter prices and am not sure if they are just the "middle man". Classic makes their own stuff.

The guy at Waldrons is an idiot. Bought some stuff off of him that was not right and then he argued with me about it thinking everyone has a oxy/acet setup with rosebud tips to heat and rebend his mistakes. He also tried to say the 66 Delta factory duals did not exit where the bracing cutouts were... But if there was something custom i wanted he could do it. As he said this i was holding nos resonators with tailpipes attached in my hand and were not close to what he said was factory that he made... and sent me.
Old June 19th, 2013 | 02:12 PM
Registered Luser

Been a while, but I did finally get a pic of the left side manifold....pics aren't the greatest....

Old June 19th, 2013 | 02:37 PM

Yes that is the correct S manifold for duals. Its nice you have it!
Old June 19th, 2013 | 07:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For whatever it's worth, to follow up on what I mentioned earlier, the Classic Exhaust system for the Delta fit great, no sledgehammer or torch work needed.

I think the turndown at the end is a bit long, but other than that they're great.

The only real "downside" is that I said I wanted quiet mufflers, and asked whether he thought I'd need resonators, and he said they'd be quiet and I wouldn't, and these things are fairly loud.

I did install resonators, and that toned it down and gave it a really nice discrete rumble, but the mufflers are still louder than I had intended. Of course, I can buy others later if I want to, but I may get used to the current sound, because it's really not bad, just not OEM quiet.

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1145.jpg (58.1 KB, 164 views)
Old June 19th, 2013 | 08:28 PM
Registered Luser

Eric, you seem to be missing your car there...or did the exhaust outlast the car? I emailed the guy direct, and told him I wanted resonators. His kit doesn't have them. He added them for me. Turned out great....I will try to get a finished pic from the back. I was worried I wouldn't like the tail pipe down turns....but they grew on me!
Old June 19th, 2013 | 08:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, the resonators were no big deal - you can get them for $50-$60 each within a couple of days from a number of suppliers, and they just fit right onto the pipes right behind the axle - All I had to do was trim off the excess tailpipe and push it all together.

I figured I'd go with Scott's advice initially since the resonators were so easy to add later, and since it is very seldom that someone selling something tries to convince you not to buy it.

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2013 | 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I think the turndown at the end is a bit long, but other than that they're great.

- Eric
Yeah I would say the turndowns are not quite as factory. Original exhaust had the tailpipe ends cut at a 45 and the there was not much of a turndown and actually not much of the pipe exits could be seen from the rear of the car.
Old June 20th, 2013 | 06:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Original exhaust had the tailpipe ends cut at a 45 and the there was not much of a turndown and actually not much of the pipe exits could be seen from the rear of the car.
Exactly.

If i had an original example, I'd cut mine to shape, but I'm not messing with them otherwise, at least not this month.

- Eric
Old June 20th, 2013 | 05:46 PM

Here is a picture that is close to what the factory tailpipe termination would look like for a 65-67 b body
Attached Images
muff.jpg (98.3 KB, 32 views)
muff1.jpg (95.9 KB, 38 views)
Old June 20th, 2013 | 05:48 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks! Looks about right to me.

I'll keep these for when I'm in the mood to use the SawzAll.

- Eric
Old June 23rd, 2013 | 10:21 PM

This might sound like a dumb question, but why does the "S" manifold have such a weird shape to it? I know a regular manifold has the exit right in the way of the steering box, and needs to be moved rearward, but I don't understand why it has such a huge arch to it. From the picture above, it doesn't appear to interfere with anything. So why is it like that? Clutch pivot?
Old June 24th, 2013 | 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 68Delta88
This might sound like a dumb question, but why does the "S" manifold have such a weird shape to it? I know a regular manifold has the exit right in the way of the steering box, and needs to be moved rearward, but I don't understand why it has such a huge arch to it. From the picture above, it doesn't appear to interfere with anything. So why is it like that? Clutch pivot?
If you look at the picture in post number 20 you see the rag joint on steering column and the actual steering box is right where a normal manifold and exhaust downpipe would be. This is the design on the S manifold needed for dual exhaust that GM came up with and it works.
Old June 26th, 2013 | 08:02 PM

Got all excited about exhaust for my car. Emailed Classic and zero response. Guess they don't need my business and I was considering 2 or 3 dual exhaust systems from them.
Old June 26th, 2013 | 08:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'd call him.

He sounded like he was in the process of bending pipes when I talked to him.
He may not have a lot of time for sitting around staring at his computer.

- Eric
Old June 27th, 2013 | 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Summerof84
Got all excited about exhaust for my car. Emailed Classic and zero response. Guess they don't need my business and I was considering 2 or 3 dual exhaust systems from them.
Not defending Classic Exhaust but I have found a lot of Emails to vendors go unanswered. A phone call gets instant response. I believe it is their systems too that are available on ebay.
Old June 27th, 2013 | 06:04 AM
Registered Luser

He does sell on ebay, and he was very easy to deal with. I would be patient with him....his product is very nice.
Old June 27th, 2013 | 06:12 AM

I used Classic on my 66 Cutlass. Although the fit is nice I thought the tailpipes are much to small in diameter
Old June 27th, 2013 | 07:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I used Classic on my 66 Cutlass. Although the fit is nice I thought the tailpipes are much to small in diameter
Mine was 2¼", front to back, same as the original big block system.

- Eric
Old June 27th, 2013 | 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
He does sell on ebay, and he was very easy to deal with. I would be patient with him....his product is very nice.
I also ordered off of EBAY for my 68 Ninety Eight. Since I was using NOS resonators (and Mufflers) I was ok with the resonator eliminator pipes because I really only needed the axle pipes. The car has factory duals and the pipes are the same 2 1/4 as original. The only difference was the head pipes came in 2 pieces instead of the original one-piece. Good quality and pretty quick delivery. Here are a couple of shots as I was installing the system. Dave
Attached Images
DSCN2191.jpg (59.6 KB, 46 views)
DSCN2238.jpg (30.3 KB, 46 views)
Untitled.jpg (85.2 KB, 46 views)
DSCN2236.JPG (93.2 KB, 49 views)
Old June 27th, 2013 | 05:36 PM

Good to hear he does good work. However, I have this thing called a job, so I am unable to call him during his business hours as those are my business hours too. I just got done replying to emails from my job at 7:30 PM, he could do that too if he really gave a hoot. Why bother to have an email form on the website if you don't ever reply?
Old June 27th, 2013 | 07:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A number of us have described his product, and explained that we have found it to be of high quality.

If you don't want to buy his products because you disapprove of his business habits. that's up to you.

- Eric
Old July 9th, 2013 | 10:48 PM

Reproduction exhaust manifolds See Thorton Reproductions link below
http://thorntonmusclecars.com/products/manifolds