carbs - stock vs. aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM

carbs - stock vs. aftermarket

Hey guys,
I've been looking into a 4 bbl carb upgrade on my 66 Dynamic, and I'm looking at 2 options. Just need your opinions.

One option is to get a used cast 4 bbl intake, and I found a place online called "i-five components" that can sell me a reconditioned 4 bbl quadrajet carb with an electric choke for $295 with no core charge. Seems like an economical choice. Anyone deal with these guys?

Another option is an Edelbrock Performer intake with matching carb (with electric choke)... not sure on the CFM rating yet, recommendations are welcome.

The engine I have is original and runs nice, and the only other plan I have for it is duel exhaust. Probably won't mess with the internals until I see the need for a rebuild.

Any opinions? From what I've read here the improvements from a 4 bbl quadrajet and stock intake should be enough to make me happy with it, but with little experience I don't want to regret my decision.

Thanks,
Rich
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:25 AM

The choices are many. My opinion is to look for a cast iron BB manifold and get a Holley spreadbore 650 carb. The double pumper mechanical secondary carbs worked well for me on my 66 Delta conv. This carb is a quadrajet replacement carb. If not already dual exhaust equipped do that. You will feel the increase in power while the 4bbl power increase will mostly come in at higher speed and RPM.
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:42 AM

depend on what you want.

stock Q jets are a mechanical choke with i prefer.

but i have a edlebrock intake and 750 carb on my 69 delta 88 and can smoke my tire's when i want. And is protected against backfire

And are stock qjets not 750cfm?

It is a personal choise, to choose from Q-jets - Holley or edelbrock or even a differend carb.

the real difference are those duals! At least my experience.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, after a bit of reading I found that q-jets are rated for up to 750 CFM, and they are designed to open up based on engine requirements, so they can be used for a wide range of engine sizes.

For now I think I'll use the stock 4 bbl intake. I'm waiting to see from a seller if his is still available. His is from a 67 442.

Going to check out Holley... and Edelbrock too, as long as they can be bolted to a stock intake.

I also just ordered a repro S manifold from Thornton so I can get duals installed. On Saturday I picked up a couple of 2 1/4" Flowtech Raptor mufflers. I've seen some good reviews of these on the web.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:57 PM

The edelbrock needs a adapterplate to mount it on a stock intake

Than it bolts on nicely, and the plate is also a "spacer " to cool the temp down from the carb.

there is much to find about carbs and them bore's difference and there are even more carbs than i realised. Than Holley and Edelbrock.

check summit racing about this.
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Qjets are rated at 750 or 800 cfm, the difference being the primary venturis. An iron intake is easier to seal and keep sealed over time. Sam Murray ran a best of 10.82 with his D/S 67 W30 using a 750 Qjet and stock 390390 iron intake.
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Thanks for your help guys. Good news today! I finally got my Dynamic to pass the government safety inspection! I'll be on the road soon . Love the sound of my new exhaust, not too loud with a deep rumble, but still waiting for the Thornton manifold to arrive to get duals.

OK, so I got a couple leads for intakes. The iron 390390 manifold and an Edelbrock Torker, both are about the same cost, but I'm sure shipping for the iron manifold will be $$.

The Torker sounds good and bad from reviews I've seen in here. I see Edelbrock has an RPM rating at 2500 to 6500RPM. I haven't been able to find what this means exactly, but as a general question, how does the Torker compare to the stock 4bbl intake? I've been told that the low end torque from my 425 should make the negatives of a Torker not such a big deal.

As well, from comments in CO I'm still leaning towards a q-jet modified to have an electric choke. But I don't know where to find info on which q-jet I should be looking for. Anywhere I should be looking?

There's obviously a lot to learn for me here. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:33 PM

The Torker is good for higher rpm, 3000 or 3500 and up. The iron intake is good from an idle up, not as good as the Torker above 3500 or 4000.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the help so far guys. It looks like I should be getting the iron 390390 at some point... so now I've been focussing on the carb.

I actually have a 78 caddy deville. I bought it a while back for a very low price but in the end I discovered the frame is rusted out from many years of driving on salty winter roads. Too bad, aside from the frame the body, interior, and engine are in great shape for a car this old.

Anyways, I recently discovered that this caddy should have a q-jet, possibly with an electric choke. I will have to dig the car out of the snow to take a look, but my question is... would I really be able to bolt a q-jet from a 78 caddy to the Olds manifold and make this work?

-Rich
Old February 20th, 2011, 02:08 PM

'78 Caddy was also a 425, but was a 'pollution carb' set very lean!
I think I'd give it a shot - just plug all the extra vacuum lines.
Remove the front plugs to get at the idle screws, and set it with a vacuum guage - if it pings or runs hot, it's too lean.
Just go back to the other.
You might be able to put the electric choke on your old carb, too!
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:20 AM
NOVICE car nut

Goverment safety inspection? , I dont like the sound of that.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:39 AM

Yeah, around here when a used car gets a new owner they need to pass a safety inspection. They go through quite a bit, even take the drums off to inspect the brakes. For me it turned out that I needed quite a bit of work... New brakes and new shocks all around, etc. In the end it's all good because the required repairs have made this car better. The hard part was having to do a ton of work to get this car on the road.

About the caddy q-jet. If it runs a little lean, can't I just make adjustments on the carb? Found a "carburetor doctor" website that looks like it will be helpful. So far, I'm thinking that if I can bolt this carb onto the olds iron intake, my main issue would be fabricating the linkage to the throttle cable.
Old April 25th, 2011, 04:48 PM

just wondering if you got the intake and exhaust manifold
I have a 66 dynamic and plan on doing the same
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM

I went with a cast iron intake with a quadrajet for my '67 425. If I was to replace it, I'd go with an Edelbrock Performer 2151 intake with matching carb (750 cfm) and electric choke. You can purchase both as a package. www.jegs.com has a package for $777.99. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.
I already have my Thornton 'S' exhaust manifold http://gawain.membrane.com/~thornton/manifold.html I'm pleased with it.

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; April 25th, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Well a bunch of things happened, but I wasn't able to get the manifold. I actually found someone here to buy the manifold, but in the end that didn't work out. Later I found someone local with a manifold, and they disappeared on me. And finally I found out that I am transfering to another city and can't take my Olds with me.

If things worked out I would have gone for the stock iron manifold with a Q-Jet carb. From what I've heard that's fine. If I was planning on building a performance engine I think I would have looked for something aftermarket.

I hope things work out better for you.
-Rich