394 Fuel Pump Air Dome

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM

394 Fuel Pump Air Dome

OK here is the deal. I have a 1960 Super 88 and have had a long running fuel issue. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am now concentrating on my fuel pump. I recently replaced the fuel pump and noticed that per the shop manual, I am missing the Air Dome. My pump leaks from time to time so I thought that I should add the Air Dome to the pump. I ordered one from Fusicks, and low and behold I find out that the receptacle for the air dome does not contain any threads to screw in the air dome. The hole is there without threads. Does anyone know if there are different types of air domes? Maybe one that pops in, versus the screw type? Or, should I (screw) tap the fuel pump? Or, just plug the hole up somehow? Not much information out there on air domes on old fuel pumps. Any help is appreciated.
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM

Or, can anyone with a 1960 Super 88 tell me if their 394 4barrel, fuel pump uses an air dome? Mine does not have air conditioning and the fuel pump contains the glass bowl. Maybe it is not required...
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:06 AM

Perhaps the holes are awaiting a self-tapping screw???
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Yes, the self tapping screw is definately an option. Just didn't know why this was designed this way. Doesn't make sense.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM

As I have a 1962 Olds with no air and the glass bowl, I am interested in learning what the heck an "air dome" on the fuel pump might be, and what it does. Anyone have a pic of this critter?
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM

When you say "air dome" are you talking about the vacuum pump that runs the deluxe heater (pushbutton controls) If that is what you refer to, the small vacuum pump that attaches on top the fuel pump will not repair a leak in your fuel pump, unless you have a vacuum leak in your deluxe heater system.
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:27 PM

The Air Dome looks kind of like a small CO2 cartridge. It helps to maintain fuel pressure and is only used on the integral fuel pump (glass bowl) type. It stands straight up next to the outlet valve, pumping gas to the carburetor.
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM

Gosh, I have seen alot of 371's and 394's in my day, but I have never seen one with a fuel pump like you are speaking of. Do post a photo of this, and perhaps someone here can help you figure it out.
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:15 AM

X2
Old July 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM

x3
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM

394 Fuel Pump Air Dome

Originally Posted by rickr
Gosh, I have seen alot of 371's and 394's in my day, but I have never seen one with a fuel pump like you are speaking of. Do post a photo of this, and perhaps someone here can help you figure it out.
OK, I don't have a picture of my actual 394 fuel pump, and wouldn't know how to upload it if I did. But here is a link to a Buick fuel pump that is similar to what I am talking about. Also, the 1960 Oldsmobile Shop Manual has a picture of my integral fuel pump with an Air Dome. That is if anyone has a Shop Manual laying around.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/f...cuum_pump.html
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Okay this looks nothing like the fuel pump on a 61 Starfire with vac pump for dulex heater...

I assume that the Old's fuel pumps for '62, '63 etc. look like the one I have and not the one in the link, so you need someone with a '60 car to give you better info then I can.

Good Luck.

Last edited by bjtstarfire; July 12th, 2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old July 12th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Here is a link to a fuel pump for a 1960 Olds on ebay. It looks exactly like the 61-62 fuel pump, except for the fuel filter element bowl at the bottom of the pump. What is on top of the fuel pump, is a vacuum pump.http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...Q5fAccessories
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:24 AM

1960 394 Fuel Pump Air Dome

Thanks for the EBAY Link. Although I am not having an issue with the vacuum pump on the top of the fuel pump, the picture is providing clues to my search. If I enlarge the picture, there is a plug of some type where the Air Dome would screw in. The plug/screw is approximately 1/2 inch high in the ebay picture. It is different than what is shown in the Service Manual but probably serves the same purpose. Anyone know where to find one of these?
Old July 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM

Seems to me a standard pipe plug fitting would work there?
Old July 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM

OK, I went to the local hardware store and came away with rubber stoppers. I jammed one in there, and it seems to fit pretty good. I'll take it out for a spin later and see if it holds (or causes other issues). Hopefully, if the planets align correctly, I'll have a 20 cent solution to my Air Dome issue. Stay tuned!
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:49 AM

The 20 cent solution did not work. Back to the drawing board.
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by kayostradivarious
The 20 cent solution did not work. Back to the drawing board.
A hardware store ought to have a threaded pipe plug that will fit?
Old July 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM

Air Dome

I have a 59 with a 394 and the same pump that you have. Mine has an air dome. I suggest you call Then &Now and ask for someone working in rebuild. Thay can tell you what you have and what to do. I would not mess with threading, extra plumbing, etc. You may have the wrong pump or who knows what but it worked when manufactured.

John
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Well John, after much thought I figured your approach made the most sense. Fix it right the first time. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the chase for a cheap solution, I decided to break down and buy a new fuel pump. I tracked down a brand new (not rebuilt) fuel pump with the correct receptacle for the Air Dome. I'll make sure the screws are tightened and install it as soon as this hot weather subsides. I still don't understand why my old fuel pump did not have the correct threaded receptacle for the Air Dome. Some Oldsmobile mysteries are never meant to be solved! Thanks everyone for your help and support! It is nice to have friends to bounce ideas off!

Kayo
Old July 26th, 2011, 03:04 PM

I hope that someone can post a photo of the fuel pump with the air dome. I have never seen one,and would like to know what it looks like.
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:31 AM

Open this link: http://www.teambuick.com/reference/f...cuum_pump.html

Although this is a link for a Buick Fuel Pump, it is similar to the Oldsmobile. Scroll down to the drawing, and the part labeled "P" is the Air Dome. Looks like a small CO2 cartridge.
Old July 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM

OK, for whatever reason that link did not work. Try this one instead. If this doesn't work, then cut and paste it into your browser.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/f...cuum_pump.html
Old July 27th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Well, thanks for posting that. I have never seen an Olds engine with an air dome type fuel pump. We learn something new each day!
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Status update. Found a brand new fuel pump with an air dome. Finally found time to install it and everything is running fine. Just in time to cruise in the nice Autumn afternoons. Unfortunately, I have now developed leaky freeze plugs. I've never replaced freeze plugs before, but I know for sure that I am not looking forward to this adventure. I guess everything (including me) starts to leak when they turn 51.