1964 394 Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM

1964 394 Fuel pump

I was wondering what the best thing to do with the fuel pump. I took it off the motor because I had a heck of a time getting the filter bowl off. The filter assembly is 30 and a new pump is 115 at USA parts supply. I not sure if it includes the filter for the 115. The pump seems to work but it is old. Do most people switch over to an electric fuel pump? I saw one at rock out for 80.

Or I can buy a new filter assembly and a gasket and bolt the old pump back to the motor.

Any ideas?
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM

I kept my pump but moved the filter closer to carb so I can change it . My pump is in need of replacement. So this past year I installed a fuel pump. For me it will only be a temporary fix. My plan is to replace original pump. The electric pump will be only to prime mechanical pump, as soon as car starts I will shut it off. USA Auto parts and Kanter both have the pump available. You should shop around for better pricing.. Most of the failures I have noticed on the mechanical pump for my car has been the internal diaphram. When I got my car three years ago there was two pumps in the trunk and both had torn and worn rubber diaphrams. I think you can get rebuild kits but I am not sure..ask this group to see if they are available.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Oldsdruid

Those pumps can be rebuilt. Just make sure you get a kit that the parts can stand modern gasoline. I put an NOS pump on my green Starfire about 4 years ago and it **** the bed within 100 miles- ethanol fuel disintegrates those original paper diaphrams quick.

1964, why exactly was the glass bowl so hard to get off? Yah, I know it's in a hateful place to work, esp if car is factory airconditioned. Still, a pair of slip-joint pliers should have been able to loosen the bail.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM

The bail must have been rusted up or I was turning the round dial the wrong way because the wire legs had to be pryed off with a screwdriver. I was thinking of putting the glass bowl back without the filter element and putting an inline filter between the pump and carb.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM

Thats what I have done. As I mentioned before it makes a filter change in the future so much easier. Give the bowl a good clean...if ever you have starting issues in the future it it easy to see if fuel is making it to the pump.