Sandblast the housing?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Sandblast the housing?

I have a '72 corporate Cutlass rear end. Has anyone sandblasted the differential housing without tearing it down? I'm fearful of getting sand in the housing regardless of how well I tape up the yoke and shaft seals. Recommendations?

If I do tear it down and replace the seals and bearings will it require all the set up of a ring/pinion change?

Thanks, Mike
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mike H.
I have a '72 corporate Cutlass rear end. Has anyone sandblasted the differential housing without tearing it down? I'm fearful of getting sand in the housing regardless of how well I tape up the yoke and shaft seals. Recommendations?

If I do tear it down and replace the seals and bearings will it require all the set up of a ring/pinion change?

Thanks, Mike
Mike, if your differential was functioning well, I'd advise against it. If the rear end is out, you can go to town on it after removing the axles and backing plates and sealing off the ends. I used stripper various wire wheels on a drill or a grinder. When all the cleaning is done, remove the cover and drain the fluid. Reassemble, and paint away - make sure the vent hole stays plugged.

You should go ahead and change out the seals and wheel bearings while there, and see how your pinion seal is doing. (Use some NOS wheel bearings only and the 712146 seal - not the 2146 - ask me how I know) If it is weeping, you should change it as well, but you will need to go through the procedure to get the right torque on the nut afterwards to insure the unit begins to rotate at the proper level of driveshaft torque.

Here's a pic of my '70 installed - it was a rusty external mess but was in great internal shape.

Good luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (720.7 KB, 44 views)
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:00 AM

That is exactly the look I was going for. NOS wheel bearings over Timken? Would you happen to have the numbers?