pulled axels and now nothing turns

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM

pulled axels and now nothing turns

hey can anyone help I have a 1956 88 pulled the axles and replaced the seals and bearing reinstalled the axles now turn the driveshaft and neither wheel axel spins what did I do wrong j
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jmlondon
hey can anyone help I have a 1956 88 pulled the axles and replaced the seals and bearing reinstalled the axles now turn the driveshaft and neither wheel axel spins what did I do wrong j
Hey, can anyone help? I have a 1956 88. I pulled the axles and replaced the seals and bearings and reinstalled the axles. Now when I turn the driveshaft, neither wheel spins. What did I do wrong?

I don't know, but I believe your next step is to remove the axles again so you can remove the third member and check it. If it was working before you changed the bearings, and you put the same axles back in, it should work now, and if it doesn't, there almost has to be a failure in the differential. Possibly a pinion shaft/lock screw failure has let the spider gears become dislodged. . .
Good luck, and let us know what you find.
DW
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Danny Wiseley
Possibly a pinion shaft/lock screw failure has let the spider gears become dislodged. . .
Good luck, and let us know what you find.
DW
Yup. That would have been my first guess also. Sounds like a spider gear got knocked out of place. Unfortunately, the center section needs to come out to check.
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Are the two axles exactly the same length? they were different from 59-63. If close and you force the long one on the short side, it could bind up everything.