olds rearend qustion

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2009 | 06:33 PM

olds rearend qustion

Hello all i have a qustion im new to olds i love them but i was woundering when i did a burnout only 1 tire spins but if im at a dead stop and punch it both spin is there a easy way to get every day posi out of my rearend i belive it is a 10 or 12 bolt thanks for any help guys.
Old February 5th, 2009 | 09:10 AM

Rear end HELP.... !!!

Ok we you first need to start buy finding out how many bolts are on your cover to ID the rear diff your working on.

Next you need to figure out whether your car actually was optioned with a Posi (limited slip diff) or a standard non posi (open differential)...

If you have a posi and it is doing what your saying...working and not working then it needs to be rebuilt or replaced depending on how bad the damage.

If the rear is a open differential then you can use a Power trax / Lock right aftermarket unit to make your carrier act like a limited slip diff(LSD) posi.
or
You can buy a reconditioned posi for the rear or New posi ...that is all contingent on the differential that is in your Cutlas...Some rear diffs are NOT supported by aftermarket parts. Or are VERY expensive.

You can go to jdrace.com and check out the ID Differential section and check out the pictures to see if one of your diffs looks like one there and may be we can I D it that way. If you have pics you can post i can ID it for you also.

Jim

J D race.com
Old February 5th, 2009 | 12:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by monzaz
Ok we you first need to start buy finding out how many bolts are on your cover to ID the rear diff your working on.
No, we REALLY need to find out how many bolts are holding the ring gear. The correspondence between cover bolts and ring gear bolts only works for Chevy axles. The Type O has a 12 bolt cover and a 10 bolt ring gear.
Old February 7th, 2009 | 03:31 PM

picture will do it.

Just need a picture of the cover and were cool. You can not fit a chevy cover on a 12 bolt 'O' type rear.

If you look at your brake backing plate bolts that hold them to the flange we can ID the 12 bolt rear from that too. 12 bolt 'O' type will have a slug headed bolt round with a 1/4 cut for the housing clearance and the chevy (c-clip type will have a bolt and nut combo to hold its backing plate on.

Basically we need more info...LOL. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 8.2 10 bolt.jpg (22.9 KB, 31 views)
Old February 7th, 2009 | 09:57 PM

Hey Jim are the backing plates the same between a C type rear and an O type rear? JKaz
Old February 8th, 2009 | 09:49 PM

backing plate

Most are interchangeable...The flange bolt pattern is for sure. It is the inner diameter hole that I have run into slight variations when swapping c-clip ones to bolt in axle rears...SOMETIMES the bolt in axle bearins do not fit though the c-clip inner diameter hole. SOMETIMES. Most of the time they work fine. WHY??? who know. The c-clip rear flange end has a small 1/8 " ledge to center the backing plate to its flange...that diameter is slightly smaller than the stock bolt in axle bearing ...sooo... there you go.

If it does not fit you can just dremel it a bit to over size that inner diameter to let the bearing slide through for a bolt in axle application.

Hope this answer the question in full . Jim

J D race.com