Axles tough to spin

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2018, 07:51 PM

Axles tough to spin

So I’m ******* deep in my chassis restore and I go to put my axle shafts back in my freshly painted housing today and I cannot get the axles to seat far enough to get the wheels bearings in the axle tubes. When I used the bolts to tighten it down it was very hard to turn the flanges or the pinion yoke. I took it off and rechecked it a few times. It’s as though the bearing retainer is being held up by my new axle seals. I put my finger through the seal hole where the axle goes in and the seal is complete seated against the axle tube taper. Not sure what is going on here
Old April 22nd, 2018, 06:19 AM

do you have the seal in the correct way? if YOU installed it backwards it will not fit. Send a picture in the hole. Jim

to help you... THE oil spring that is on the inner lip of the seal should always go in where the fluid is ...So if you can see the little spring on the lip of the oil seal from the out side looking in to the tube it is in backwards.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by monzaz
do you have the seal in the correct way? if YOU installed it backwards it will not fit. Send a picture in the hole. Jim

to help you... THE oil spring that is on the inner lip of the seal should always go in where the fluid is ...So if you can see the little spring on the lip of the oil seal from the out side looking in to the tube it is in backwards.
Hmmm. I’ll have to go look. I literally used the seal puller to pull the old seals out, cleaned out the end of the tube and drove in the new seal. I even rechecked the indentation of the old seal before I installed it. I have the flat or painted portion of the seal towards the backing plate.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 06:49 PM

seal install

??

Which way? The top seal should be seen from the outside of the flange if your can see the bottom picture orange seal from the flange axle hole it is Wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ebay items 006.jpg (42.6 KB, 5 views)
Old August 26th, 2018, 06:03 AM

Sounds familiar, I had the same problem after powder coating everything. Check for to much paint in the hole of the backing plate where the bearing goes through in to the housing. Very tight clearance there.
Dennis...1962 Starfire convertible