1967 CS - AC/Heater Removal

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2018, 02:37 PM

1967 CS - AC/Heater Removal

The AC/Heater in my 67 CS was shot, blower was bad, heater core was bad, AC was bad. So, I have now removed the AC/Heater from both the inside and the outside. This has left a really large hole in my firewall. I purchased a plate from eBay that was supposed to cover this hole, however, that plate is not only the wrong size but doesn't have matching mounting points either. Any suggestions on where I might find a plate that fits?

Stupidly, I threw away the exterior portions of the AC/Heater (without checking this plate) so I no longer have an easy way to make a pattern. The AC/Heater that I plan to replace all of this stuff with has nothing on the engine bay side of the firewall, it all mounts inside with the heater and AC lines being the only things that need to pass through. SO I would like a fairly stiff metal plate to block the existing hole that I can drill a few new pass through holes into for the AC/Heater lines.

Thanks!
Old August 21st, 2018, 02:00 PM

Vintage Auto Air includes two block off plates for this in their kit as I remember. They also have two plastic plates to block off the fresh air intake and pass the hoses through from the engine compartment. They do not have a 67 Cutlass kit, but do have one for a factory A/C 67 Chevelle. I used that kit and the plates fit fine. You should be able to order those as repair parts for that kit direct from Vintage Air.
Old August 21st, 2018, 02:23 PM

I don't understand why you can't make a cardboard template. Maybe a picture would help.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:03 AM

I have created a template out of foam board. For some reason, we didn't have a large enough piece of cardboard laying around. The foam board worked well and is even acting as a delete plate right now although I wouldn't want to drive far as I assume the heat would be too much.

I have not yet purchased my replacement AC system so the Vintage Air plates sound very intriguing. I was planning to use Classic Auto Air (https://www.classicautoair.com/) mainly because they have a shop near my office but I know Vintage Air makes a good product. I think I will check into them as well.

Thanks!
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:23 AM

There out there, I bought a heater delete plate for my 67 years ago. I bought Old Air Products A/C system and installed in my 64 F-85 Pro-Touring car. Basically the same install as yours would be. I have pictures of the A/C installation if you need some ideas. In the meantime-Pictures of the heater delete cover I put on the 67.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2137.JPG (958.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCN2139.JPG (381.5 KB, 12 views)
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the pics! Your engine bay looks a lot better than mine, but I will get there eventually.
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:55 PM
Do Damage

Check out ABC Performance. They have a three piece smooth fire wall set for cars with A/C.
http://www.abcperformance.net/store/...&products_id=8
My long term plans are install an aftermarket A/C with the hidden wiper kit and internal regulated alternator so I bought the two piece smoothie kit.
Old August 23rd, 2018, 04:44 AM

Robski, was the 67 a race car, and the heater removed for weight savings?