Value of 68 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Value of 68 cutlass

Hi All,
New to the forum but not completely new to Oldsmobile. I used to work for Olds back in the late 80's and have owned several over the years starting with a 69 Delta and last being a 94 Bravada. I am currently looking at a 68 cutlass supreme holiday coupe (342878z), a car in which I have always wanted over the years. The car is a southern rust free car that has the 350 eng/trans ps and pdrum brakes, split bench seat and vinyl top. The interior has been restored to new and it has been professionally painted once along with all of the rubber seals being replaced. The car is in excellent condition truly needing nothing other then the bumpers are a little dull but no rust on them. I am currently trying to come up with the money to purchase it but I am not sure what it is honestly worth in current times. Seller is asking 15k; it seems reasonable but I really have nothing to compare to. The car has less then 100k and the engine and trans are original. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Joe
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM

If the car has extensive work done to it, and is of good quality, it does not sound out of line. The thing to consider into the equation is you. If you can afford the car, and you feel comfortable paying the price, then it is a good deal. If you can do some work yourself you could probably find one for a fair sight less, particularly with economics being what they are right now, but it may not be exactly what you want either. In the end the decision is yours, and you will have to live with it either way. The problem with older cars is that they are toys when you get right down to it. No body NEEDS one. So the market can fluctuate wildly depending on the economy, and what is in vogue with the people with money. Look it over carefully consider seriously what you are comfortable paying for the car, and go with your gut. I didn't believe it when I was young, but there will always be another, or near to it. I may be reading to much in between the lines, but get the impression you think the number is strong, but want the car anyway. I would tend to agree that the number is strong, but don't know anything about it. I have seen nice examples advertised for under $6k, but they are nice drivers. Yes I am talking in circles, but this is entire a subjective question, and a simple answer would come off as condescending. Post pics if you can. What condition is the body in is everything original, is it rare? Others may have a different opinion, but I would negotiate, or keep looking. Are you willing to transport one? there are good people on the forum that may be in an area where one is available, and willing to look one over for you. It has happened in the past. Welcome to the site, and good luck. Hope some of this helps.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Past Administrator

I agree. If you want some more opinions see if you can get some more information, history, pictures, etc to share so people can make a better estimate for you. Welcome to our site and hope you find this car, or another to your liking soon and can start driving an Olds again!
Old February 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM

I would go on Ebay and check out the completed listings. Look at what similar cars sold for and what did not sell. I've seen some pretty darn nice cars, one 68 Cutlass supreme in particular that did not sell for that price. It may have gone up to 12 grand or so and it was very highly optioned. Buyers these days seem to want the performance models such as 442's or very rare models like W cars. Don't be mislead by the high prices some people are asking for their cars because most don't sell.
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:28 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the feed back.

kevdog442 - I have been looking at prices for the last several months. Unfortunately they seem to be all over the place. The 442's seem to be a bit more consistent depending on condition.

csstrux- As far as the number being strong, I honestly don't know if it is or is not. I spoke with the owner, he seems like a real good guy. Seems very up front and confident about the quality of the car.

Oldsguy- As far as history I believe he is the 2nd owner, and replaced all of the rubber/weather stripping as well as fr and rr springs. The previous owner did the paint and interior. I believe the eng/trans are original. Current owner did add 442 badging, stripe and cragers. He does have all of the original badging as well. Once I figure out how to attach some of the pictures that he sent me I will. (May need help on this)
I really do like the car, just don't have the money he is asking. Doing my best to come up with it though.

I have been reading through the forum, just wanted to say that it is awesome! Seems to be a bunch of great folks with a lot of knowledge here! Thanks again, Joe
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM

Posting Pictures

Ok, need help posting pictures Only thing I can find is a url link, which I don't have....
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:31 AM
Past Administrator

Do not use the quick reply, use the button labeled "post reply" on the lower left. After clicking on that you should see the message composition box labeled "reply to thread", then below it an "additional options" box, in that box there should be an option labeled "manage attachments", click on that and you get a new box pop up with options to upload from your computer or upload from a URL. If you have photo files locally on your computer you simply browse from them and attach them. Pay attention to file size though as our server has restrictions on file size.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

Oldsguy,

I tried, unfortunately the additional options box only lists miscellaneous options and thread subscription.

Joe
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM

This may be the problem

Posting Rules You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Past Administrator

All fixed, try now.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM

Thanks

Here are a couple pictures to start...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
car 0377.jpg (62.0 KB, 22 views)
olds 0022.jpg (70.4 KB, 20 views)
car 040.JPG (67.8 KB, 21 views)
car 039.JPG (53.9 KB, 25 views)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM

From the pics posted she does look clean. Have you done enough dilligence to feel comfortable plunking the money down on it? If you can afford it, and you are comfortable with it, go for it. I'm a cheep skate so that pup is way out of my league.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

Couple more pictures, others are too large to upload
Attached Images
Copy of olds 004.JPG (45.4 KB, 18 views)
Copy of olds 007.JPG (49.1 KB, 17 views)
Copy of olds 005.JPG (43.8 KB, 18 views)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
From the pics posted she does look clean. Have you done enough dilligence to feel comfortable plunking the money down on it? If you can afford it, and you are comfortable with it, go for it. I'm a cheep skate so that pup is way out of my league.
Hey Chad,

I like the cheap route as well most of the time, unfortunately free time is not on my side currently. I have looked around a bit, there is what looks like a real clean 69 palomino gold 442 for sale in New Hampshire. They want close to 20k for it. I went to look at a 69 cutlass convertible a few weeks ago and the images look much better then the car did and the guy wanted 14k for that! There is a real nice 69 cutlass convertible on ebay that I am sure with go for more then 15 if it sells. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1308).

As you mentioned, "afford it and comfortable with it" is the ultimate decision. I used to keep tabs on the prices of them but kind of lost track with the whole Barrett Jackson crap...

Thanks, Joe
Old March 3rd, 2009, 04:25 PM

where I come from that car might pull 8-12k depending on who is buying it and what it really is. I'm thinking that is an s model, but am no expert by a long shot. if you got someplace where these things are a bit more common, and things don't cost as much in general, you could probably get that pup 6-8. I haven't don any shopping in some time, and only halfheartedly look anyway, but I think with some shopping around you can do better, but I am not on the north east coast. I tend to avoid it like the plague. $100 in a day just crossing bridges in NY NY.Not counting the regular tolls. I love how those commies think trucks are big rolling piggy banks. any way I know everything costs more over there, so the money may not be bad considdering geographic location. It's just strong for what I'm used too.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM

But the ones you listed are 442's and convertibles, they will always be worth more. Even though that car is badged as a 442 its still a Cutlass Supreme, with bench seats, column shift?, and probably has the Supreme hood (which is kinda plain). For 15 grand I'd probably want a better optioned car... and a rebuilt motor. I don't want to discourage you if you like it. It is a really nice car, its just that my car is a 68 Cutlass Supreme so I see what they go for a lot.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by csstrux
where I come from that car might pull 8-12k depending on who is buying it and what it really is. I'm thinking that is an s model, but am no expert by a long shot. if you got someplace where these things are a bit more common, and things don't cost as much in general, you could probably get that pup 6-8.

I agree with that.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, I really appreciate the input. I know the other cars are different, but were the closest I could find in that kind of condition that were somewhat similar in price. Car is a cutlass supreme with column shift and plain hood. I didn't give much consideration to the options to be honest. I was looking at the overall condition of the car. I'll see if I can get some of the other pictures converted to smaller files to post. One item I did notice that the owner didn't mention is that the wheel well moldings are not original. I don't know if it came with moldings or not but these look like the stick on ones to me.

Joe
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM

Those lower fender trim moldings near the wheel openings are factory GM pieces. They were used on certain of the Cutlass and Vista models. The 442 would have had a true wheel opening molding on the lip of the opening, without any connecting pieces.
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Sounds like you found what you want. Convenience is worth something too.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cameo White
Those lower fender trim moldings near the wheel openings are factory GM pieces. They were used on certain of the Cutlass and Vista models. The 442 would have had a true wheel opening molding on the lip of the opening, without any connecting pieces.
Are the moldings held on with clips? I haven't seen this before, only the moldings that cover the lip...

csstrux - No doubt I like the car. My 69 delta was palomino gold with a black top so I am partial to the colors. With that said I am not going to lose sleep if I can't come up with the money and find something as nice for less.

My limited knowledge all comes from memory, hence my reason for joining the forum and asking the experts
Can never hurt to get honest opinions from folks with a passion for Oldsmobiles!

Thanks Again, Joe
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
Are the moldings held on with clips? I haven't seen this before, only the moldings that cover the lip...
Yes those moldings are held on with clips and there are holes drilled all along the body for them.