General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Value of a 1970 442 badged Cutlass S ??

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:57 AM

Value of a 1970 442 badged Cutlass S ??

I'm just curious what the value of my ride would be for the possible purpose of selling it.
It's a factory Cutlass S according to the VIN, but has been badged a 442 with a Rocket
350/TH350 drivetrain in it and the 442 hood. Motor has been rebuilt with more HP
but without a Dyno done I really have no exact clue on HP. Guessing 300-350

Pics are in this thread.

I've restored it to mint condition. The engine could use some more attention to detail,
but not bad at all. I am just debating whether or not it would be worth the time to put
a 455 in it to increase the value and make it an actual 442 clone or if it isn't going to
be worth the time.

Any thoughts??

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 4th, 2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:32 AM

Nice car

IMHO

It is what it is and adding a bigger motor won't increase the value
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM

What would it be worth ....ballpark range ??

It's not going up for sale, I'm just trying to get a feel for where I'm at.
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:29 AM

10k, car prices are down.
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Past Administrator

I agree, the car appears in good shape. The engine bay cleaned up well and the interior is in very good condition. If you do sell it those will be a plus.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM

I'm strictly a purist that believes in bone stock! Turning a Cutlass "S" into a 442 clone is a relatively easy proposition provided you get rid of all the excess modifications (especially the Mopar Hockey Stick on the fender. An immaculate stock vehicle will always be worth much more than modified if you are planning to sell.
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Even adding the 455/400 wouldn't actually make it a 442, it's all in the VIN.
As stated car prices are down and I think $10,000 is a good estimate for a Cutlass in that condition.
And most 442s didn't come with the OAI hood, but with a standard hood with louvers at the rear by the cowl. Even posi was an option, which I never understood.
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:55 AM

I have a 442 clone as well. I did it that way because it was less expensive to clone my Cutlass S, than to buy a numbers matching 442. With that being said, it would only be worth what someone else is willing to pay. I think 10-$15 would be about right. Very nice car!
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys.

MAIN reasons I'm asking.....
It's winter hibernation time, and I'm pondering what route to go when tax
return time comes to modify it to make it BETTER.

#1. My 2.78 rear end gear ratio on the O axle is a pig off the line.
I actually do not like it at all. Once I put on my bigger rims, it's a "Gutlass Cutlass" and doesn't even squeel the
tires anymore like it did with the old OS II's. Now it scoots once it's off the line, but it's just the line that
it doesn't do anything much of anything. So I've priced out a new carrier and gears for it, and it's pretty
crazy IMHO. ~$900+ IIRC ......that's a bit crazy. So a 12 bolt chevy was a stronger consideration.

#2. I've been pondering what engine to put in it.
Now if a 455 was to REALLY increase the value of the car,
I'd definitely strongly consider it. However, if it wouldn't, then it's a moot point. I'd consider the Buick 455 since
I've heard it's a better overall motor. Lets face it, a 350 rocket doesn't breath very good , and a porting job is
not cheap.....

#3. Modern LS or Gen IV Drivetrain for maximum power + driveability. For less then $5,000 total , I can
put in an EFI modern drivetrain with L92 maximum flowing heads that blow BBO and BBC heads out the door.
Simple cam/spring swaps = 500hp on them.

Now if the car isn't worth more then $10K , then I'm DEFINITELY NOT going to hurt the value of the car
by putting a modern drivetrain in it. That's why I was asking too......I know Olds' purists will hate the idea
but Olds doesn't have many INEXPENSIVE modern options guys.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 4th, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
... I'd consider the Buick 455 since
I've heard it's a better overall motor. Lets face it, a 350 rocket doesn't breath very good , and a porting job is
not cheap.....
I realize you are thinking out loud, so to speak. But remember, this IS an Oldsmobile site. Whether what you say is true or not, it hurts my eyes to read those words and we could dispute/argue that all day long without agreement. Really, a Buick 455?????
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM

A Buick 455? And you think Oldsmobile performance parts are expensive just price out a Buick build. JKaz
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Registered

Buhog 455?
This should be good.
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM

Yes, I was just thinking out loud.

The 455 isn't a real option at this juncture. I don't want a boat anchor on the front end of my boat.
I'd rather do a modern Gen IV Chevy motor with 500hp and 285lbs lighter if I did decide to upgrade.
A nice 4L80e with OD on it would complliment it quite well also for great MPG which is non-existent in a BBO.
I've never been the straightline racing type.....and that's about the best a BB is useful for IMO.

Yes, I know it's an "Olds" site, "BOO HISS"
Ever price out what a used running great condition rebuilt Rocket 350 is worth ?? Nothing......
I've already looked , so it's not that desirable if you ask me.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 4th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Keep the motor you have. Put in a 4.10 posi and a mildly built 2004r transmission.
You will burn rubber off the line and your highway RPM will be about the same. Way, way cheaper than building a Buford or Olds 455.
BTW:
I'm OK with the hockey stick but I'm no longer into spoilers ever since guys started putting rediculous looking wings on the back of Hondas. I used to love them though. One mans opinion.
In any case, build it the way you want. Not how anyone else wants it.
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:44 PM

I applaud you for thinking outside of the box. Purist will cringe but it's YOUR ride. Just don't open the hood at an all Olds show. Me, for now I'll try my options with my SBO with a little turbo charging. But that would also make the purist cringe. But unless they want to donate an aluminum SBO with LS breathing heads, I ain't listening too hard.
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Ya know t bell, for awhile there I was wondering if you were my uncle.
Because I bought this off of him in North Carolina last year.

His name is Ted Bell. The irony....

Originally Posted by 68conv455
Keep the motor you have. Put in a 4.10 posi and a mildly built 2004r transmission.
4.10 would be better with the T56 six speed with the .50 final gear ratio.
I've been REALLY wanting to go that route.....

I was pricing out the conversion for the hell of it but I'm still into it for over $3,000 just for the T56 NOT including
a 12 bolt Chevy or a swap out of the carrier and gears in my Olds O axle. The axle is just going to go because
rarity isn't a good thing in this car unless it's a legit 442 numbers matching IMHO.

As for the hockey stick, I totally dig it. Why?? Because it's not too common on Olds.....and that's what I want UNIQUE.
Why do I want to build the same car everyone else has ?? to me that's boring.
When I go to the car shows I love to see creativeness.....not the same car just a different color every other car.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 4th, 2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Actually, I am your uncle. Give me my car back. Nice car.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Banned

wtf is a repop 69 camaro stripe doing on your car?
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:31 PM

ok, I got to admit it, I like the hockey stick - something different - its the stripes going over the spoiler that doesn't do it for me. As for the 455 vs 350 I'd say keep the 350 - we all seem to remember these cars as being so darn fast - yes some where but most where 14 - 15 second 1/4 mile cars, low 13s at best, and couldn't turn away from a one car funeral. As a guy with a W30 I am pretty true to originality on that car but I am looking at a few Cutlii to buy so that I can either turbo charge the 350, drop in a modern engine or do a turbo diesel - all dreams at this point and I don't even know how realistic it would be. I'd put an OAI hood onb a rear spoiler the W30 stripes and probably keep it a bench seat car. I like the idea of a basically stock looking Cutlass with great suspension and lots of torque. I'm sure in 1971 you could have gone to any Olds counter - ordered the hood, the spoiler and even a W27 rear end and put it on the F85 you bought in late 1969.
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
we all seem to remember these cars as being so darn fast - yes some where but most where 14 - 15 second 1/4 mile cars, low 13s at best, and couldn't turn away from a one car funeral.
EXACTLY.....which by today's standards....isn't that fast at all.
Honda Civic SI's are in the low 14's.

That's downright embarrassing when you think about it IMHO.
So when I'm rollin up in my 1970 classic "Muscle car" and I get smoked by
a little STOCK rice can.....it's not very encouraging to say the least.
ESPECIALLY when it SOUNDS like we're blowing HP out our asses but
a fart can lawn mower is pulling on us. LOL

That's why I'm on a mission to UPDATE the car to today's reborn muscle car era standards.
It's a damn shame Olds was put down by GM.....it really is. They pioneered ALOT.
To me tho, they are attractive and DESERVE to be beefed up to maintain their
"legendary" status of integrity.

Originally Posted by agtw31
wtf is a repop 69 camaro stripe doing on your car?
It's making good use of itself and adding flare to an Olds.
Anymore ?'s, feel free to ask

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 4th, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM

if you find a Chevy rear end good chance it would need to be rebuilt. So that could cost you more than just changing the gears in your car. 3.73 with 200r4 is the what I would put in it. You can change out the cam, intake, carb., and have a little head work done. Than you can tell the ricer to go kiss your a##.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I'm not as fast as the diesels or the glorified roller skates ...

But they all want to race me ...

I usually hole shot the f'rs and they have to really exert themselves to catch me ...

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:20 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Plus my burnout is way more impressive ...
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
if you find a Chevy rear end good chance it would need to be rebuilt. So that could cost you more than just changing the gears in your car.
$975 for a series 3 carrier for this "O" rear end, not including labor to put it together.
IF this rear end made only 3 years was worth something, I'd do it. But it's not.
If the rear end isn't worth crap, then paying 3x the amount for gears + carrier is foolish IMO.

OR
There's a guy on ChevelleTech that I was just told about that sells
12 Bolt Chevy's for A-bodies 68-72 fully restored for $1400 with a 1 year warranty.
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173716
The REAL reason I want a Chevy is because in case I decide to swap out gears later.
If I eventually decide on a T56 trans or wait for a Dodge Challenger TR6060 to become
available, then I can go REAL deep with the .5 final gear.

If I want to swap out ANOTHER O axle gear set it's going to run me a small fortune again.
Not worth it to keep it and they don't sell for sh**. They're worthless.

3.73 with 200r4 is the what I would put in it. You can change out the cam, intake, carb., and have a little head work done. Than you can tell the ricer to go kiss your a##.
I don't want a 2004R.....I've been down that road before with my 2nd gen Z28.
Bought a Stage II 700R4 for my SBC 350 and tore both out and put an LS1/4L60e just a few years after.

I'm not a purist, and this isn't a true factory 442 so it's not going to hurt the value
any route I go with it.

Last edited by Aceshigh; January 5th, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:03 AM

I never said their is anything wrong with going with a 12 bolt Chevy. I have one in my Cutlass. I thought you only wanted to change your gears and people on here have gears and carriers for sale all the time. The 1400 for the rear end doesn't sound to bad if it comes with the gears you want and some kind of locker. As far as trans. goes if your hard on them it doesn't matter how strong built they are they won't hold up. When I drag raced all the time I would have to go threw mine once a year. Other wise they would brake down at the track and that sucks. I not a purist either the only thing that keeps me from putting a LS1 engine in mine is the fact I have a 455. I have a friend with a 67 Pontiac that has 455 engine built to around 550hp and has a 6 speed manual trans. in it. Talking about a fast car. I have th350 in mine but if I change it out I would more than likely go with something like he did.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; January 6th, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I not a purist either the only thing that keeps me from putting a LS1 engine in mine is the fact I have a 455. I have a friend with a 67 Pontiac that has 455 engine built to around 550hp and has a 6 speed manual trans. in it. Talking about a fast car. I have th350 in mine but if I change it out I would more than likely go with something like he did.
IMHO there is no better final gear drive then what the Fbody or Viper T56's offer in the .50

You can slap a 4.11 gear in there with a T56 magnum or TR6060 (new T56) and tear *** out of the dig, (off the line)
and get great MPG on the hwy. You simply CAN NOT get a 4.11 gear ratio in a TH350 and go on the highway. So I'm right there with ya.
THe MAJOR downside is the total cost of the initial investment. Upwards of $3,000 just for the trans NEW plus the labor to cut the
tunnel and do the install......it can get up there. But if you keep the hydraulic clutch setup, the end result is AWESOME.

Truth be told, if I had a stout 455 I'd definitely look into the 6 speed. My ultimate goal is to get one in my car. First I want the 3.73 rear end though.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:41 AM

3.73 is a great gear I have used that gear in lot cars I've built over the years with tall tires it works ok with th350. Now 3.73 with a 5 speed now where talking about one hell of a combo. I need to go and talk to my friend to find all the detail of his swap to the 6 speed and maybe get some pics. I know he spent at least 3,000 for the trans.
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:21 AM

We pulled the Muncie out of our Olds and went with a Doug Nash 5 speed and dropped the 3.42 gears down to 3.08 and it is a nice hole shot car and it'll cruise 70+ MPH. If you went with a 5 speed Richmond / Doug nash, you could keep your 2.78 gears because 1st gear is 3.27-1. You do not need to alter the tunnel either.
The Chevy 12 bolt has C clip axles that are a weak spot. If you have spent time at the track I'm sure you've seem them break before, and when they do your rear quarter will go too. I don't think you'll hurt an Olds rear, 10 or 12 bolt, but $975 for a posi unit seems high, Summit sells a 3 series posi for less than $500. If there worthless you should be able to find one cheap. Good luck on the project.
P.S. I kinda like the hockey stripe too.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Thanks, I dig it myself.

I'm not after a drag strip toy or anything. I'm after a family cruiser with
some ROMP out of the hole and decent MPG to boot. Lets face it, gas prices
are going up AGAIN in the middle of winter.....it's a sign of things to come
in the Spring guys.....sucks.

I actually want to drive my car more often then most do during the summer in Chicago.

I already have a final gear of 1.0 in the TH350 so spending money on a 4
speed that has the same final gear isn't really worth the upgrade to me.
I won't even put a 5 speed in it. It's either a 6 speed with the .5 final gear
or a built 2004R instead.
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM

25 years ago I ran around in a 68 W30 with 433 gears. I drove it to work every day. I had a 68 SS Chevelle with 4.10's as a daily driver. 3.31's are as low as I'll go with now. OD in one form or another will make a nice driver out of that Olds. You sound like you dissaprove of 5 speeds. I'm not talking about an S-10 chevy 5 speed. 6 speeds are known to have weak 4th gears. I wouldn't be real happy if I mutilated the floor on my Olds just to have 4th gear blow. I know a guy that blew his twice. Good luck on your modifications. A Chevy LS1 and a 6 speed will certainly get you some gas mileage. I bet in the mid 20's mpg's on the open road.

Last edited by MN71W30; January 8th, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Captain of my ship

I think this thread is straying a bit from the original question.If you are looking to increase the value of a 442 clone then i would go with a 455 worked up.The reason being strickly for resale value.The price for an original 442 is getting out of reach for a lot of guys looking fo a muscle car so a 442 clone is an acceptable option.I just think that putting in a BBO or working with what you got will generate more interest. So keeping it as much Olds as you can will attract more interest especially if it had a BBO.
Just my .02cents
Old January 10th, 2010, 03:51 AM

minneapolis craigslist > washington/WI > for sale / wanted > auto parts
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
LS1 427 CI Motor & Transmission For Sale - $6500 (Afton, MN)

Date: 2010-01-09, 11:22PM CST
Reply to: sale-y7vpj-1545584489@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

All items off 2001 Camaro SS...

Motor & Transmission
ls1 bored and sleeved to 427 ci
600 miles on motor
sleeved by darton 4.125 bore
eagle crank srp pistons
new cam
new connecting rods
high performance timing chain
ati fluid dampner
stock heads completely ported and polished- oversized valves and triple springs

comes with
reprogrammed computer and wiring harness
coil packs
tailor wires
siemen injectors
arp stud kit
comatic triple head gaskets
Lowered compression rings for super charge application

motor comes with all sensors and water pump, and mass air flow sensor and throttle body but no intake

Also comes with Fuel System- Airmotive 1000 fuel Pump and regulator, Fast Fuel Rails

all Airmotive fittings and Braided lines to fit 01 Camaro
Transmission included
t56 with upgraded 3&4th shift gear
Pro 50 Short Shifter
McCloud Clutch
may have more parts that are included but not listed...
Altenator mounting hole on block is chipped

Please e-mail with questions,

Winner is responsible for all shipping details and pays all shipping costs! (Including pick up/delivery)

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests