restoring '85 cutlass t-top

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM

restoring '85 cutlass t-top

Picked up this car as a rolling chassis for 300 bucks...overall solid but i'm sure you guessed that some stuff is wrong. Does anybody know where I could find new rear quarters without spending a fortune? I'd like to just cut them out and weld them in instead of doing all sorts of body work that will most likely look shoddy. any help is greatly appreciated!
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by twisted
Picked up this car as a rolling chassis for 300 bucks...overall solid but i'm sure you guessed that some stuff is wrong. Does anybody know where I could find new rear quarters without spending a fortune? I'd like to just cut them out and weld them in instead of doing all sorts of body work that will most likely look shoddy. any help is greatly appreciated!
There are no repros. Good used or NOS are your only options.
Old October 20th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Just A BaBy {:

nice find! some pics maybe?
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM

Post pics please.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:20 PM

I'm about 3 hours away from the cutlass right now...but when i get up to my dads next i'll try to remember to take some pictures. It's definitely not perfect...but what is for $300? lol
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Just A BaBy {:

I'm about 3 hours away from the cutlass right now...but when i get up to my dads next i'll try to remember to take some pictures. It's definitely not perfect...but what is for $300? lol
well with a lot of work an some cash! it will go a long way!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM

yeah well...this is exactly when I'm kicking myself for selling my '82 calais and then kicking myself more for not buying it back fast enough...1 week before i got the cash together my buddy parted the whole thing out and sent it packing down the road...
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Just A BaBy {:

yeah well...this is exactly when I'm kicking myself for selling my '82 calais and then kicking myself more for not buying it back fast enough...1 week before i got the cash together my buddy parted the whole thing out and sent it packing down the road...
o man that suks! But what can you do when cash it tight.At least you have a cutlass with t-tops {:
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:53 AM

T-tops are cool. Now the only thing you need is a mullet!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by Olds64
T-tops are cool. Now the only thing you need is a mullet!
hhahahah i was telling my GF once I'm done with my car i was going to buy a old used leather jacket as well as some maroon leather gloves an some 80s rock music an will have a good time !
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM

haha well i think im past my chance for the mullet...baldness is setting in . but i could pull off just the party in the back right? lol Once i started into this car i know its going to need ALOT more time and money than I wanted to originally put into it...but i really want those t-tops and the car is the same age as me...so I'm toughing it out. just needs some tlc and a lot of time with the media blaster and welder . hoping to find some decent rear quarters soon
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Just A BaBy {:

haha well i think im past my chance for the mullet...baldness is setting in . but i could pull off just the party in the back right? lol Once i started into this car i know its going to need ALOT more time and money than I wanted to originally put into it...but i really want those t-tops and the car is the same age as me...so I'm toughing it out. just needs some tlc and a lot of time with the media blaster and welder . hoping to find some decent rear quarters soon
good luck my friend
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM

thanks easy...im hoping its not super freezing yet around thanksgiving...i have about a week off work so im hoping to really get this car tore down and off the frame...thats my goal in that time period at least . i'll post up pix of it after that
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Just A BaBy {:

thanks easy...im hoping its not super freezing yet around thanksgiving...i have about a week off work so im hoping to really get this car tore down and off the frame...thats my goal in that time period at least . i'll post up pix of it after that
looking forward to see some pics hoping soon i can drive my 84 hurst olds to California were my uncle owns hes own body shop's so i can take it off the frame an clean it up being 19 an have no money an place to do this at its well worth it to drive it out there to get it all done for free
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM

yeah i'd say thats worth it...i've got a garage but it's going to be tough still doing it on my own with no lifting equipment. but it will definitely be worth it in the end. do you have pics of yours easy?
Old October 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Just A BaBy {:

yeah i'd say thats worth it...i've got a garage but it's going to be tough still doing it on my own with no lifting equipment. but it will definitely be worth it in the end. do you have pics of yours easy?
yea butt there 4 months old. did do a lot of work to it.So it looks alot better then b4 an works allot better.
ill post more recent pics when i upload them

2.jpg
IMGP1456.jpg
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM

looks like you're well on your way to a kickin ride man...keep up the work. I'm currently mulling over dumping all sorts of cash into mine now...got up to my dads for a couple days here and really looked at it...might be parting it because it needs a good 4000 worth of metal work done...before painting. soooo yeah...we'll see
Old October 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Just A BaBy {:

looks like you're well on your way to a kickin ride man...keep up the work. I'm currently mulling over dumping all sorts of cash into mine now...got up to my dads for a couple days here and really looked at it...might be parting it because it needs a good 4000 worth of metal work done...before painting. soooo yeah...we'll see
4000...man thats a lot of cash i rather just get a 442 with out rust for that price.
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM

i could find a really nice roller for 2000 and just drop my 350 in...and i'm considering doing that. so i may have some parts for sale soon.
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM

Hey easy...Is that a WI collectors tag on the tail end of that Hurst I see there? Where did you find that thing?
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by csstrux
Hey easy...Is that a WI collectors tag on the tail end of that Hurst I see there? Where did you find that thing?

yup! I found it on eBay,guy was trying to sell it an eBay kicked his eBay listing off so i emailed him an offered $1000 an he took it an i drove it home to Indiana,
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM

Nice project,there's one right around the corner from my house that's been there sitting for at least 10 years.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by easytobedead
yup! I found it on eBay,guy was trying to sell it an eBay kicked his eBay listing off so i emailed him an offered $1000 an he took it an i drove it home to Indiana,
Lucky bastid Lucky find right there.