Photo of our cool Oldses

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
69CuttyS

Photo of our cool Oldses

Here is a photo of me (on the left) and my buddy Cory with our way cool 69 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertibles. A connoisseur may notice the 68 front end on mine; it is, however, a 69. While mine is black, and therefore cooler, his is an Arizona car, all original body, all metal, with a 350 that he rebuilt by himself. Mine has been in Canada for some time (decades) and, therefore, has a certain amount of bondo here and there, applied by previous owners. While he insists gold is the better color for this vintage of Cutlass, I seem to recall that sometime in the past he did say to me that black was better, but I don't recall the context. His dad had a new gold 69 Cutlass back in 69, so it has some sentimental value for him. As for me, I just wanted an A-body convertible, and I just happened to stumble on this one. Serendipity. I intended to change the front end back to it's proper 69 look, but the look of that 68 front end is really growing on me now.
Almost time for packing them away for the winter...
So what do you guys think; which is the better color for a 69 Cutlass convertible? Black or Gold?
I'll start things off by voting for black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
KA_CC_oldses2a.jpg (53.7 KB, 99 views)
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM

Don't forget about the polling function you can do on our forum. It would be neat to see what everyone thinks. The polling function makes it easy to see results with a quick glance.

I would have to go with gold. It is close to bronze which was the color on my dad's 71 Cutlass S. Plus, I've heard it is difficult to get a black car to look good up close because black shows body imperfections more easily than any other color. However, I like both of the cars in the pic. VERY cool!

I wish I had an Oldsmobile buddy to wrench with.
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM

The cleft lip look on the 69s just completely kill the front end. Gotta go with the 68, and NOT just because I own one.
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up

"Cleft lip look"??? Interesting, the 69 Cutlass is a premier muscle car. I like all Olds, but none compare to the 69, not a big fan of the split headlight 68's and prior. I AM biased, I proudly own a 69 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe but as far as color, black -vs- gold, I'd go with black with black interior and a gold rocket 350
Old October 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Perhaps I should have used the descriptor "underbite". The way in which the center of the front bumper reaches up in front of the fascia just looks unfinished to me. It looks like the car took a hit to the front end, just above the bumper.

When I pointed it out to my wife, even before my editorial, she asked if that was the correct front bumper for the car.

Even though I love my 68, I prefer the headlights together as on the 69 though.
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:01 AM
car nut farmer

Nice cars! I'd have to go with the gold though and I've always liked the '68 front.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I have owned a bunch of Cutlass' and 442 from 67 to 72 and never had a desire for a 69. Dont like the underbite as one reader stated. I could tolerate it on the 69 H/O but otherwise - Yeck.

I vote Black 68! Here is a pic of one I used to have:
GUY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68442.JPG (22.7 KB, 20 views)
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Past Administrator

But that underbite or tooth or whatever you would call it evolved into the famous waterfall grille of the seventies, which, in my opinion is one of the best styling marques of that era.
Old October 15th, 2008, 08:13 AM
69CuttyS

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
But that underbite or tooth or whatever you would call it evolved into the famous waterfall grille of the seventies, which, in my opinion is one of the best styling marques of that era.
The waterfall grill was very cool. So were some of the other evolutions right into the '80s.
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Gotta say that the 68' light configuration at night is much more menacing looking. Gonna vote 68' on the front clip, but gold for the color.

My car is in the body and paint shop right now and I've been debating going the black with gold w-30 stripes or gold with black stripes. The painter recommended gold with black. Less swirl marks and hides imperfections better.

That Aztec gold on the 69's was a pretty sweet color. Question now is galleon gold or aztec gold?
Old October 17th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Olds64
Don't forget about the polling function you can do on our forum...
Ok, never knew about that one. Thought it was an administrator task. Tell me more....since I already voted on this issue